How can I get my child to mind me???

I have a 3yr old boy and he hits, yells, throws fits, mean to his little brother, and does'nt listen to anything I say. Ive tried timeouts, sending him to his room, taking away his favorite toys, and making him stay home from fun activities and nothing seems to work! any suggestions??

Jessica W.

Asked by Jessica W. at 10:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went through the same thing! Everyone says terrible 2's, although with both of my children age 3 was so much more challenging! You just really need to follow through with the time outs & eventually it will work out, I hope! My son is now 10 & he is the most loving, caring child & if someone would have told me he was going to be fine at age 3 I would have said NEVER!!!!
    nettyg

Answer by nettyg at 10:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think consistency is the key. Follow thru on every threat you make and make sure you correct the same behavior all the time. Many times we are tired or occupied and it's easier to ignore a naughty behavior "just once". Becareful not to do that.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Be consistent with your punishments. Warning, then time-out, then time-out again, then taking away privileges is how I do it with my son. He is learning, but it will take time. Just don't give in and ignore bad behavior - they will take that as winning, and will try again and again!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Be Consistent! if he throws then time out. If he throws again then he goes back. If it's hitting, wht ever he is not gonna like sittin in time out all day right... JMO'
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have the same problem. My 3y.o. son tries to push his little sister. It usually happens when I don't devote to him as much time as he probably want to. But when I switch my attention to him, he changed his behavior at once and then tries to be so good boy.
    AnittaT

Answer by AnittaT at 8:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Be Consistent
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• be firm and consistent and introduce spankin
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010