In need of help with Tummy Time Troubles

I asked this in a group post and didnt get much help so I'm hoping to find help here.

My son is 3.5 months and HATES tummy time. The longest I have ever got him to stay on his tummy without freaking out is maybe 30 seconds.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to work the muscles that tummy time works without actually being on their tummy? The closest thing he will do is lay on his tummy across my legs and that's only every once in a while. Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

LuvMyLilMonkey3

Asked by LuvMyLilMonkey3 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try proping him a little with a boppy so his hands are in front of him and put some toys in his reach. You can also put a mirror in front of him (obviously out of reach) so that he can see himself. At 3.5 months it is going to be pretty difficult, once they can roll there isnt much you can do about making them stay on there tummy.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• their*
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My 3 month old (and my 3-year-old when she was a baby) have done tummy time best when I lay them on my tummy and chest with their face close to mine.

They get the comfort and play of being close to mom, and don't seem to notice half as much.

good luck
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I got a little triangle toy thing that i would use to distract my DS with. But he hated tummy time too, you just have to let him get used to being on his tummy which sometimes means let him cry.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• the pediatrician suggested to just let him get used to it, he just doesn't seem to want to do it. i tried every day for a month and a half. its frustrating because i know he needs to gain muscle and head control but i cant stand to see him scream. i mean he screams so hard he almost turns purple and then he gives up and burries his face in the ground so his nose and mouth are covered,,,,,,,,,
    LuvMyLilMonkey3

Comment by LuvMyLilMonkey3 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• There is a reason why he screams during tummy time, I'm sure. A baby wouldn't just freak out like that for no reason. I think you're doing a great job by following your instincts and finding another way to do this instead of making him suffer.

If you spend lots of time each day holding him, just carrying him with you as you go about your business, he will be working those same muscles to develop his upper body strength. Tummy time helps them strengthen the muscles in their necks and shoulders, and eventually in their whole torso, and by learning the balance and strength needed to hold himself upright he will be working out the same muscles. I have a Moby wrap and I love it, it lets my baby be held vertically and close to me while leaving my hands free.

When he is in a good mood, you can try lying him on his back on the floor while you play with him and show him interesting things, and that might encourage him to roll over.
    ToddlerBrain82

Answer by ToddlerBrain82 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Get one of those activity mats, if not for him, for you. He has to spend time on his tummy in order to build up his neck muscles, hold up his head and to prepare for crawling. I always instruct parents upon discharge of their infant from our Nicu to place the baby on their tummy daily from day 1- I think the Nicu babies are more inclined to like/tolerate TT, as we often position on the abdomen since the kids are all monitored.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son (3 months) hated Tummy Time too. He's up to about a minute, maybe two, if he's in a really good mood. I noticed he would spit up a lot when I'd put him on his tummy - so I made sure to burp him well, and not do tummy time if he was really full. Also, I to help his muscles develop, I would carry him around like a football, face down. My hand would be on his chest, supporting his upper body, and his body would be resting on my hip, with my arm around him, holding him next to me. We'd go check the mail, walk around the house, whatever I could do carrying him and using my other hand. He's holding his head up fine, and when I do manage to get him in a happy mood playing, I'll roll him over for a minute or two, call to him, smile at him, cheer him on, and then when he starts to fuss, turn him back over and smile and encourage him some more.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Meh. Neither of my boys did any tummy time. They developed just fine. I think it's overrated. It's good, but IMO, not worth it if they hate it that much. Many babies can't even do it. My second couldn't. He had severe AR. Lay him on his tummy, and he'd be lying in a pile of puke within seconds.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Carrry him in a sling or wrap (you can use a sheet like a ring sling so ou on't need to buy one) and that will build his neck and core strength. Avoid baby containers (swings/seats -- the do not allow free movement or exercise) Don't do belly time after a meal; try naked belly time (diapers can be restricting). If he can only do 5 seconds that's fine. Lay with him on your belly helps to.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010