Please! I need more reassurance.. I'm going crazy!!

'm 22 years old and pregnant with my first baby. I found out 3 days age that my risk of having a baby with down syndrome is 1/67. That is the average risk of a 42 year old. These results are from the blood screening. Should I be more worried because I'm only 22 and have this risk?? I read that the false positive rate is only 5% of those detected. I have looked online at other peoples stories. And I know that everyone is different. I go for my second ultrasound and genetic counseling in a week. I know that I will most likely have the amniocentesis done just to make sure. It would be horrible to have to go through the rest of my pregnancy not knowing. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Just keep in mind that no matter what you will always love that baby. Thats is all that matters.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'm sorry your worried about this. They only true reassurance you'll get is when you have the u/s done.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Even when i have the u/s done it still doesn't prove that my baby doesn't have DS. I'd have to get the amniocentesis to know for sure.
    Kelli1012

Comment by Kelli1012 (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If your worried there is a test that you can get done. All they do is take blood, and they will tell you after what the results were. Just talk to your Dr. or who ever you are seeing. I had this done in both my pregnancy's even though there was such a low chance anything would be wrong. I was 21, with my first, and 22 with my 2nd. But I still wanted the test done just to know for shure.
    -Your not crazy. Your just worried about your baby. Thats a good thing.
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• As I told another soon to be mom today these tests are not always accurate. Like a pp said you will love your baby no matter what. Just try and slow down and enjoy your pregnancy.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 11:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Those tests have extremely high false positive rates. My oldest has Down Syndrome, if you want/need to talk feel free to send me a message =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Actually yes they can tell with a level 2 u/s because I had to have one done. My daughter had no signs of downs. My blood test came back negative but I was still sent for the u/s to make sure.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• the most accurate way is going to be the Amnio test.
    It is risky but it would help to let you know for sure, YES or NO. Then you can prepare for whatever lies ahead.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Why is your risk factor higher than most people your age? Having a child with DS is not the worst thing in the world. I should know, I have one of these children. They are children that are very loving and affectionate and I wouldn't trade him for the world. This isn't a bad thing. It looks like to me that at your age you would be less likely of having one. I wouldn't worry too much though. A lot of people tell me that they are like Angels.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Honey take a deep breath i know how scared you are....those screenings are not always correct even when they say something is wrong its not always the case...you are so young...wait for your next screening & take it from there on what you decide. GL and the best to you.

I know someone who was told the same thing from the triple screen & the baby was born normal. Try to remain as stress free as you can. With my last baby I declined the triple screen and it back fired and I worried myself sick the whole pregnancy. Take care of yourself and everything will work out how it should.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 12:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2010