sleep trouble with our 18month old

we have co slept with our little guy since day one and we love it but its time to get him to his own bed he is now disturbing my sleep by all his tossing and turning and im sure hes not getting a good nights sleep either plus we are expecting another baby in 6months so we dont wana kick him out last min and have him feel left out. Any words of advice for those who have co slept and how to get them to their own bed with no tears. iv read the book the no cry sleep solution and it was great but doesnt have much info for how to get your little one out of your bed lol. any advice would be great thanks ladies

Jaxsmommy09

Asked by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Girl I have a 9 month old in the same position. I am starting now but the crying it out thing is KILLING ME! he is so little and when I see those little pink gums in that quivering mouth I melt and just cant keep him out of bed. However the hubs can. I have a montra I keep telling my self when we close the bedroom door and he is safe in his crib.... This is good for him, this is good for him.
    Hope it works.
    J
    orion52

Answer by orion52 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• -When your little guy falls asleep move him into his crib.

-If he's known to wake up in the middle of the night sometimes. Then try setting up a play pen becide your bed. This way when he wakes up, he can still see you. And hopefully wont cry so much.
    If you end up taking him back into your bed, then when he falls alseep (move him back into his crib)
    This might be hard on you for the first little while, making you loose some sleep yourself. But adventually it should work. You just have to stick with it.

-Also, he's used to sleeping with you. So he is used to the smell of your bed. Try putting some of your sheets or pillow cases in this crib or play pen. This will help him sleep. Expecially if your moving him while hes sleeping. He wont notice that he's been placed someware ealse.

Hope this helps, good luck
    ness_033

Answer by ness_033 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i agree wit ness i did that with my 4 yr old when we moved him to his bed i would put one of my husbands shirts rolled up next to him since he was used to sleeping on my husbands arm n it worked took about a mnth or so but eventualy i stoped the shirt thing n he never noticed lol also we put a toy to distract him when he woke up in the night the music would soothe him back to sleep well good luck mommy
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We moved our then 2 year old to his own bed for the same reason. He was just taking up to much bed with all his tossing and turning! What I did was put him in his bed, and stay there until he fell asleep. I did that a few times, and then started moving further back from his bed while he fell asleep. After a while I was in the doorway, and then I was able to just put him to bed, and leave the room.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• First try a bed in your room and move him while he sleeps. Have him take naps in his bed though. After a week or two of this try a bath and story before bed in his bed.. try for a month of this, then move to his own room.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010