Single mom dating, scared...

My new man is bipolar and it shows, and I am scared because he has been verbally abusive! It is never ok, he wants to change and stay together... could he?

loubrue

Asked by loubrue at 11:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Truly? Highly unlikly! What I have learn is that men NEVER change! You don't want someone that is abusive around your children!
    Trishy7

Answer by Trishy7 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Most likely..No.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 11:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Is he on meds? My personal oppinion is that a relationship w/ someone (bipolar) can be a serious challenge unless they are medicated and/ or getting therapy. Be careful!!! If you feel afraid, follow you gut and get out. He may be a great guy but the illness can take over and control both of your lives. Verbal abuse can easily and quickly escalate to physical abuse.
    brogelle

Answer by brogelle at 11:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You need to realize it won't get better. It will just progressively get worse. He will have highs and lows and drag you through them, and your kids... It's a lot to deal with, I know first hand... I'm sorry, but to me it's not worth the risk..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• u and ur child deserve better! Dont settle for the "now". MOVE ON!!!! TRUST US!!!!!
    SylivasMommie

Answer by SylivasMommie at 11:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If he truly wants to change he can but it is not an easy road. My dad was bipolar and it took him a long time. It will take a lot of work on his part.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If it shows, that's not a good thing. I'd get out while I can. The longer you are with him, it most likely will get worse instead of better.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• highly unlikely. my advice, get out now. he is not the only man who will ever love you & your kids, no matter what he tells you.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• No one can tell you what is best for you but you do have a child to think of. It's not just about you that baby will also be affected by your decision. Follow your heart for what is best for you and your child.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• no. If he is clinically bipolar (diagnosed by a physician) he will NEVER change. What he need to do is stay on his medications and be strick about it. This is the only way he could be in a neutral position.
    Keep in mind that this is a condition that he did not provoked (provoked sutuations such as: drugs, alcohol, may have a cure).
    You are talking about abuse, and that is something you do not want to ignore.
    Ahealthyskin

Answer by Ahealthyskin at 11:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2010