the family bed....?

ok so i already know it wasnt wise to open my bed up to my son in the first place but i did and i cant take it back...it was very sweet when he was tiny but now hes 17 months and refuses to sleep the entire night without me next to him. i need him to stay in his own bed for my marraiges sake, any tips for going about that? he goes to sleep fine in his own room for naps and bedtime but in the middle of the night he comes into our bed or screams in his room until we get him.

april262009

Asked by april262009 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can't help. I raised my son in "attachment parenting" style. I believe that having your child sleep in your bed is not a mistake but is a natural instinct. My ds is almost 18 years old and he's pretty damn near perfect! He decided on his own to start sleeping in his own room/bed when he was almost 6.
    Believe me.. there will come a day when you will sorely miss the days when your child wants to even hang out with you.. watch a tv show with you or even share a meal with you. Enjoy it while it lasts... it goes by so very, very quickly!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Once he is asleep, can you move him to his own bed?

Having your children sleep with you is not going to ruin a good marriage. If it is sex you are worried about, you can have sex in places other then in bed and you can have sex at other times.

Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 11:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Watch a couple episodes os Supernanny, she deals with this a lot. She tells the parents to start putting the child in his own bed and every time he tries to get out or come in their bed, they should pick him up and lead him back to his own bed without saying anything, not making any eye contact, and keep doing it until the child finally goes to sleep, even if it takes hours. After a few nights, they'll get it. Good luck!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• agree with poster # 1
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 11:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I can't help either. My g/g twins are 5 and still sleep in my bed a few nights a week, and even though almost everyone is trying to get me to break the habit, I don't want to. It gives us bonding time in our chaotic life that I am just not ready to part with. My husband does complain because there is just not enough room for him when the girls sleep in our bed, and he gets pushed to the spare bedroom. It has put a damper on the comforts of certain aspects of our marriage, but nothing drastic. We are just forced to become a little more creative in our locations, which on the upside, adds spice. ;-)
    pcomston

Answer by pcomston at 11:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• How is it affecting your marriage? Is your husband against it?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I never bed shared. Here is bump. I will not miss not bed sharing either. We all need sleep and it would not happen if he slept in our bed. Trust me.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• He's probably a little scared.. Try giving him a special blanket or flashlight he can use as his "safety toy". and no tv or games an hour before bed (will cause kids to sleep more restlessly and they tend to wake up more in the night) instead keep that hour for quiet time before bed.. with a bath before hand, then a story and lay down time with mommy in his room.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2010