How do you potty train a 3 year old boy that is developmentally delayed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The same way :) You just may need a lot more patience and he may need a bit more maturity :)

Also, a suggestion if he has speech issues....put up a picture of a potty on the fridge or wherever..maybe a few...that you could show him to point to when he feels he needs to go....so he doesnt have to say it. If thats a problem for him.

My dd has mild aspergers and speech delays and I thought she would be impossible....BUT I WAS WRONG! she was super easy! So dont give up! He will get it, even if it takes a while :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We were in this very same situation. Like yours, my son is developmentally delayed but he also has some aspergers tendencies. He is 5 1/2 now. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you honestly have to wait him out. When he is ready he'll let you know.

We tried everything. I mean everything. A friend even recommended we teach him first to pee on a tree because he might find that funny and it didn't work. He liked his diapers!

We had given up, when one day out of the blue he announced he had to go potty and went. Just like that. And he had no more problems with it.

We couldn't get him to sleep without a diaper until about 3 months ago, but waiting for him to be reading was the best decision. Every morning he wakes up he's so proud, he can't wait to tell me he didn't pee the bed.
    Marianne T.

Answer by Marianne T. at 11:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My now 12 year old son has developmental delays along with speech delays. My one BIG suggestion is consistency and patience. I also found that I more or less let him decide when he was ready. I think that because of the delays its better to wait till they are a little older. I believe my son was 4 by the time he got it. Be calm and take your time with him. Good luck, I know i can be done!
    lablaw1126

Answer by lablaw1126 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• get a routine and stick with it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2010