How long do you think it will be before trick or treating is done away with?

I'm completely neutral here, but don't you find it odd that we teach our kids not to talk to strangers, not to take candy from strangers...

but it's okay to dress up once a year and knock on complete strangers doors expecting candy from them??

Just a thought...

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hopefully never. I mean, more dangerous areas tend to have daytime ToT and a heavy police presence or they have mall ToTs or something... But here, we've never had an issue during ToT and I would be broken hearted to see it go.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• naa... kids have been doing it forever... and understand the difference.. also, parents/ responsible adult should always be with a child while Trick-R-Treating... check candy. stick to neighborhoods your familiar with...
    Same as going door to door selling crap for school...
    If we keep over protecting our kids. they will just get less street smart.. which is even better for the bad people.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• well, it depends on where you live and how watchful parents are. I don't see that Trick and Treating will end here in the midwest where parents go with the kids and check their candy before eating it. It would be a shame to end a tradition that kids love and ...parents do too! We have Halloween parties and dress up and have a ball! It s good clean innocent fun for us all , kids and grown ups!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think kids will be trick-or-treating until we have a major cultural switch, and slowly decide to do away with it.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 12:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• VERY true! Im 29, when i was little, it was okay to go with a friend. Our town was THAT safe. Even when i lived in Rock Springs WY rather than MT. But now, my daugher is 7 and there is NO WAY i would EVER let that happen with her! I say ten years, n there will be no more trick or treating!
    SylivasMommie

Answer by SylivasMommie at 12:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I totally know what you mean...I feel like it's going to phase out over the next 10-20 years. I hate that, but it is a direct reflection of how suspicious/jaded this world is becoming.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Contrary to what people think, the world was not safer back then. We just knew less. I dont see it going anywhere any time soon...I think either way there will be places for kids to go and trick or treat....even if it's not door to door. I DO worry about the candy though. :/ I am thinking about buying candy to replace my sons with when he isn't paying attention. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• its practicaly done here. they set times for the cities for trick or treating but i've been noticing less and less people give candy or take their kids trick or treating door to door. i remember being little and my mom taking us to like 3 different parts of town to go trick or treating. not anymore, and the parts of twon that still, you're luck you got 5 or so houses to go to. but now the lines that mall get longer and longer every year. last year it took almost an hour to get through one line at a store. trick or treating isnt really fun anymore around here.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• That all just sounds so incredibly sad to me. We live in New England and I can honestly and happily say.. Halloween is alive and well around here! I'd be seriously depressed to live in a world without Halloween. I'd much rather give up christmas and thanksgiving combined than halloween!!!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:17 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I say 10 years
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 12:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2010