If a babyis small for his age is it hereditary?

I want to know if a baby is small for his age is it in the genes? Because, my baby is almost 8 months old and at his last appointment when he was getting his vaccines he was weighed at 14lbs. And why I ask if it is in the genes is because, my brother is small for his age and so is my mom and everybody else in my husband's family is short.

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My BF son is small for his age too. I think he gets it from his dad. I think it is somethin passed on
    Anonymous

• Just as some adults are really small, so are some babies. Its good in a way because u save money on clothes becuse u dont have 2 buy the toddlers sizes so soon. My son is 8 months & wears a 2t.
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I think more than likely yes; more hereditary than pregnancy related. My son was born small (5lb 7oz), but is now catching up so I think his was pregnancy related. Your son sounds the opposite and hopefully your ped will keep an eye on his growth because of the family history.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Yep. Look at the family and the baby, not the scale.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• YES!! My daught is 7 months and 13 1/2 pounds- eats VERY well, and is very active and up to date and ahead of her milestones... The doctor said if you were small, or your husband, a small babe is the norm. My doc said as long as she is up to date with her milestones, size doesnt matter.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 1:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I am only 5'5" and about 98-100lbs and my husband is 5'7", not sure his weight lol. But our son is small. At his 9 month appointment he was 18.4 lbs and about 27 inches long. But on the other hand my 22 month old nephew is huge, he's in size 5 diapers almost 6 and he can wear his step brothers clothes, step bro is 5 years old lol
    LadyUsagi

Answer by LadyUsagi at 4:34 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• There are a combination of factors that contribute to size, but genes do play in integral part. My family typically has HUGE babies, but all of mine followed after my husband's family, and all were slow gainers. None of mine were over 20 lbs at one year. In fact, one of mine was only 23 lbs at two years. Their pediatrician usually seems concerned with their nutrition, and we monitor that closely, they've never been found to be malnurished. They're just small. Poor things will be in car seats until they're teenagers.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 6:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Oh thank you. I feel better now. Because the nurse was worried about his weight. And, my in-laws were worried about it also. I think people just worry too much. Am I right?
    kaynadjaysmom28

Answer by kaynadjaysmom28 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My son was little for his age up until recently. The Doctor was not concerned as long as he was showing some growth curve on his own chart. Not compared to the rest of the world.
    Naners59

Answer by Naners59 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008