Pop him on the cheek?

What does it mean when someone says "I popped him on the cheek" or "You should pop her in the mouth"? Does it mean a slap on the cheek or mouth?

ToddlerBrain82

Asked by ToddlerBrain82 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes, it means to hit your child and I find it disgusting.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's not a slap like you think of when you see bar fights or anything... Usually it's more of a tap than a slap. The point is more to draw attention to the words or actions than it is to cause pain... I have see lots of kids get "popped" in the mouth, and have never once see on "slapped" or really even hit...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I know a mom who flicks her son on the mouth, as a correction prompt. This lo is 2 years old.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I always thought of it as a little flick with your finger. For example, my breastfeeding son bit me, so I popped him on the cheek - more like a flick, I guess - and broke his latch. He was surprised, but it didn't really hurt - didn't leave a red mark or anything.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It could mean a whole slew of things really. Popped to some people could be a little tap, all the way up to a punch. My friend told me she "pops" her son in the mouth when he bites. I witnessed it and she actually slapped his mouth....
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think it means different things to different people. I know some where a 'pop' is a slap. I've seen some leave a mark. Others it's more a little flick, or tap, kinda a reminder 'that's not a word we use' ect. Not enough to leave a mark or actually hurt. I don't think I could ever do anything close to hitting my kids' face though, even a pop.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 1:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• it could mean anything really, just depends on the mom I suppose. If I were to ever "pop" my DD on the mouth, I think for me it would mean a slight tap near the corner of the mouth.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• popping or slapping a child is uncalled for I believe they should only be popped on the bottom
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2010

• yeah i think that is what it means
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 10:13 AM on Oct. 6, 2010