How do I co-sleep safely?

I like co-sleeping with my 3 month old - it makes night feedings (breastfeeding) much easier - neither of us wake up all the way. He's starting to learn to roll, and I'm worried that he'll roll off the bed when I have him on my outside (full-size bed -- no room for me to move around him, I move him back and forth to nurse). Any ideas on how to make this work better?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 12:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I co-slept, I made sure there was something soft on the floor, just in case, and then slept with my arm around my baby. I've always been a light sleeper, so when ever he started to roll over, I would wake up enough to make sure he didn't roll off. I could never put him on the inside, because my husband is a very heavy sleeper and I didn't want to risk him rolling over on the baby.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We always had a flip up railing on the bed, in fact I still have one for the nights my son finds his way in here... It just makes it a little more safe... They aren't expensive and they are really easy to use.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• we moved our bed to the wall n put padding inbetween the wall n bed so baby wouldnt fall worked out for a while till he learned to crawl n would get off the bed lol
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i do like the railing idea. i always had no problems with me and my children co sleeping, i always was a light sleeper, i could wake up to any movement, if you cant, then maybe you could use the railing.

sometimes you could also roll up a blanket and put on the side of the child
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We have been cosleeping for over a year, and we haven't really had any problems.
    But I know that my sister and her husband have special cosleepung borders on their bed
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 6:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2010