If all schools had to offer at least 3 foreign languages...

When I was in 6-12 grade, my schools offered Spanish, French, and sometimes German. But this was years ago.

If every school had to offer identical foreign language courses, which 3 languages should they be?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 12:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I teach at a charter school as a Spanish teacher. We also teach Chinese and Arabic, which are considered to be two highly critical languages in the world today. I would say this makes an excellent combination: Spanish, Chinese and Arabic. They're different language families, give kids a good base for learning other similar languages, and speakers of these languages are in high demand. Also, when you learn a language, you also learn about the culture(s) that come with it - hopefully creating more open-minded, world-class citizens who can create peace and foster mutual understanding.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think Spanish and Mandarin would both be very useful. I don't have a strong preference about a third.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Reenieredhead - Does you school teach Mandarin or Cantonese? BTW - I think Arabic is a great 3rd choice.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:31 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• DEpley - We teach Mandarin Chinese. It's a K-9 school, and all students are required to choose one of the 3. It's so much fun. We have a native and non-native speaker in each language. We just rolled out the Arabic program this year, and there was some resistance. A lot of parents are "afraid" to have their child learn Arabic. But isn't that what language learning is for? To overcome fears of other cultures and do away with communication barriers?
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:34 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think Spanish, French, and perhaps Japanese or Russian would be most useful?
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My DS's school offers Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese and Japanese
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:29 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Ah, Arabic. I didn't think of that. That would make an excellent third choice.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Good reply and I agree Reenieredhead.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My kids are in french immersion and I would love for them to learn more languages. Being Canadian of course all schools should offer french (it's our second official language), and I'd love to see the kids learn Spanish (though with the french base spanish should be pretty easy for them to learn) and something like Mandarin. But I just really want them to learn more languages.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Spanish because a lot of people here in the US speak it. And where I live there is a large Asian population but they speak all different forms from Korean to Chinese, so hard to say which would be best to teach. Probably Chinese because we do a lot of business with them and in the future it would be a good skill to have. I was glad that I learned some French, Italian and German for when I traveled, I learned enough to get by. I think maybe the languages that get taught in schools should depend on the make up of the local area or if students are on a college track program, languages that will help them communicate in the business world.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2010