what can i take?

im 24 week preg and have a sore throut but do not know if i can take over the counter stuff or if i need to go to the dr

stacyana

Asked by stacyana at 12:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Cough drops are fine. Or honey and lemon in some hot water.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• A pharamacist might know what is safe or you could call L&D and ask one of the nurses. I would definitely call your doctor monday and have them check you for strep.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 12:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• its best u go to the doc cause some otc meds can harm ur baby especialy now that ur over 20 weeks i know for a headache u can take regular tylenol my doc gave me those but for sore throat he didnt let me take anyting cus of the alcohol most meds have
    sandi_361

Answer by sandi_361 at 12:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• thank you i will see if i can get my dr to give me something tomorrow or maybe i can try HEB see if the pharamacist can let me know what will be safe
    stacyana

Comment by stacyana (original poster) at 12:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• go to the dr. u cant ake penicillin if it get bad & some cough drops for sore throat
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You can use cough drops in moderation. Most of them contain licorice or other herbs that aren't good during pregnancy, but the levels in 2-3 a day won't do any harm.
    It's unlikely you'll need antibiotics, but it's worth calling an advice nurse and asking what you can take, or an herbalist.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• you can have some decaf tea with slice of lemon and a tsp of honey. I was drinking that as soon as I felt the sore throat coming and it helps. The lemon kills the germs and dries your throat and honey moisturize it afterward. Sometimes I just put a little salt and pepper on the lemon and suck on it. It works for me after a wk of doing that.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• yup go to dr
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010