Did you pierce your daughter's ears when she was a baby?

I did not. I am waiting for her to get older and ask. Then I'll wait til Christmas or her b-day. Whichever comes first.That way it will be exciting for her....something to look forward to . A Big Day ,so to speak. We can be nervous and excited together. Besides, what if she doesn't want her ears pierced at all?

CBMMOM

Asked by CBMMOM at 12:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was just having this discussion with my mom! A friend of mine got her 3 month old daughter's ears pierced today. I just do not understand for the life of me why you would put your baby through pain just for stupid earrings! My mom let me get my ears pierced when I turned 8 and it was soooo exciting. I couldn't wait for my birthday! I got to pick out my earrings and everything. And most girls want their ears pierced anyways, but that doesn't mean ALL girls want their ears pierced. And it would just be weird to think of piercing my daughter's ears before she ever wanted it or even knew about it. I don't get it at all.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My daughter is 9 months old and I JUST had this discussion today. Although it would look adorable...I cant bear the thought of putting her through such pain without her really wanting it. Some parents dont think its a big deal but then again its not my body. I want her to want to get it done, so I am making the decision to leave her little ears alone!
    BLoNdIe121679

Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 12:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Want to share my story with you. I did not get dd's ears pierced when she was a baby, cause I felt just like you. Over the years we went in and out of malls and I told her I would pay for her to get the ears pierced, she didnt want to. Offered every birthday, every special occasion.....nope she didnt want to. I got mine double pierced one day and she was with me,,,nope didnt want the ears pierced. WELL,,,this dd of mine just turned 18 and her other 18 yr old friends took her out for her b-day. They did all sorts of crazy stuff, but the craziest of all was that they went to a tattoo parlor and dd got her ears pierced with a straight needle. Ok,,,I got past the tattoo parlor, but the straight needle! My kid who was afraid of getting her ears pierced, went for the straight needle? Im still scratching my head over that one...lol
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My 2yo (at the time) wanted her ears pierced reeeeally bad, because she adored and admired her auntie who had pierced ears. So we took her as a Christmas present, and ended up doing the 1yo's at the same time because she asked for "pretties" when she saw her big sister's. I don't regret it; they healed SOOOO much faster than mine or anyone else I knew who had their ears pierced later on. If they really hate it later on in life, hopefully they won't be upset with me. In fact, I didn't want to do it at all! LOL but my 2yo was begging and MIL offered to come along for support, so it ended up being a lot of fun.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Straight needle?? Wouldn't that be like a double whammy?? First the needle and then the earring? I wonder how much convincing her friend had to do. Crazy girls!!! LOL
    CBMMOM

Comment by CBMMOM (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Neither of my little girls have pierced ears. I wanted it to be their choice and my husband thinks they should wait until they are 18. They are 7 and 3 now but if they want them done in the next few years I think we can convince daddy to let them. My mom did the same thing with me and my grandma convinced me to get them pierced when I was in the 4th grade. Hers were not pierced either and she said that if I did it, she would do it too. She said I had to go first and then she ended up never getting hers done. lol
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well I do not have a daughter yet, but the answer is HELL NO, I never would!!!! I just met my 2 year old nephew and niece (only 11 months apart in age) at my 2 year old sons birthday party in July for the first time. I was bothered that my sister and her (tattooer/piercer) boyfriend pierced my nephews 2 year old little ear twice with large gauge needles and he had 2 silver hoops in his ear. I just could not believe it, although I managed to keep my thoughts to myself (which is VERY hard for me). But, this was the first time seeing my half-sisters and the newest niece and nephew in many years.I will happily take my son to get pierced to get pierced anywhere he wishes at any age but at 2, I know he did not request that and that is what bugs me about it.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• peircing guns are way more unsanitary and intimidating than a straight needle. Once the needle goes in, the pain is gone. When they take out the needle, the post is in. No extra pain. Good for your daughter going to a professional!
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 1:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Heck no. There was no way I was going to do that to an innocent little baby. I (we) decided that they'd get it done when they asked, when they were old enough to understand the pain and how to take care of them. Oldest was 5, second was 6 - and I wish we'd have waited another couple of years for both of them. Youngest is 5 and hasn't even asked yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well I was beginning to think I was in the minority on this one, but after reading the replies....maybe not. But I see SOOO many little teeny girls with pierced ears.
    CBMMOM

Comment by CBMMOM (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2010