Would you tell your DH if dinner was bad?

My DH made burgers today on the grill and they weren't so great. Some were burnt and they didn't taste very good. I don't know what happened. But I ate mine and went on and so did the kids. He asked me after dinner how the burgers were and I said "alright." I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Would you have told him? Just a side note he has made pretty good burgers in the past, but sometimes he burns them. He usually cooks every Saturday.

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 12:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Yes, I would most definitely tell him and have many times, mostly only when he asks how it is. Of course, nicely. But he knows when he should have paid more attention to his cooking as have I. He gets easily distracted while cooking and so he may get his ego hurt a bit but he also knows I don't mean to hurt him. I just want him to do well because he likes to makes us happy when he cooks. I would hope he would tell me if he didn't like something but after over 22yrs he really hasn't said much. I am the one if
    I know I messed it up say you don't have to eat it if you don't like it. Food should be not only for nourishment but enjoyment as well and I would never make someone eat something just because I cooked it. And that goes for my children as well. I never make them eat something if they don't like it. That just sets them up for negative food issues/behaviors. I was forced to eat stuff I didn't like, now I hate those foods.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have mentioned it once or twice that dinner didn't turn out so good. Luckily though, he agreed. He's told me before too, in a good way though.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• No I wouldn't have told him they were bad. I think you did the right thing.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My hubby does most of the cooking and usually does a really good job. He's a great cook. But on the occasions where the meals aren't great I have no problem telling him what I didn't like. I mean if there is a problem with the meal and I just say it was fine then he's going to keep preparing it that way - and I have to keep eating it. I don't have a problem saying "it's a little salty for me" or "the burgers were a little burned". But you can do it nicely, say "you usually do great burgers but these were a little burned and not as good as usual"
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Hahahaha. Yes. Not only will he tell me when dinner is bad, he'll refuse to eat it.

If they were eatable, I'd probably say something along the lines of 'not quite as good as usual' or 'ok' or something, I wouldn't lie and call it wonderful. Though, in my case, he NEVER cooks. He DID actually cook once the day or so after I got home from the hospital after a c-sec. I forget what else he made, but he made some boxed mac and cheese. Which has got to be the EASIEST thing to make other than microwave burritos or ramen noodles. Well it was the mushiest mac and cheese I've ever had. And I think I said something, but everyone (my parents were in town) ate it happily, and thanked him for his efforts! Just because it didn't come out perfect doesn't mean we didn't all (especially me) really appreciate it!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Oh, and don't get me wrong, he may be picky and have no problems voicing his opinion when the food I make is bad... but at least it doesn't happen often. So it's not like he's a big jerk or something, he's just used to the stuff I make being how he likes it.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'd make sure he knew I appreciated him cooking, and then maybe offer a suggestion for how to do it better next time. I want to know if what I cooked was good or bad, so I can figure out if I need to change anything next time. I guess I just figure he'd want to know too, as long as I'm not accusing him or anything.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Dh and I do about the same amount of cooking and last night we had lasagna, a fave of both of ours. We were very tired while cooking and he and I both cooked it, Well apparently dh didn't wash some of the soap off of one of the dishes because the meal had a soapy taste. He admitted it without me saying anything and I admitted to not paying full attention and adding too much sauce. I also admitted it was the worst thing I had ever made. The rest of it is still sitting in our fridge. I imagine I will choke the rest of it down this coming week because that's the way I am-not wasteful even if it tastes bad. Dh on the other hand is much more picky and will let it rot before taking another bite. I would tell dh if he burned my burgers but do it in a nice way and tell him he makes other things good.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Wow, hate to admit it,,but my dh always had a problem with burning the chicken on the grill. Never told him it was bad,,just tried to fix it somehow. I would boil the chicken before giving it to him to barbeque.,,not so juicy,,but then again neither was barbequed burnt chicken. :)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• DH and I both love to cook (we're both sort of closet foodies) so it isn't likely that he wouldn't have noticed he'd done something sub-par in terms of cooking burgers. We often have discussions during dinner about what could have been done better, what to try next time, what worked well, etc. and that happens regardless of who prepared the meal (and often we cook together). I would feel completely comfortable explaining to him that my burger was a bit over-done or that I didn't really enjoy the extra char. I would, however, include my happiness over his taking on the job of cooking for the evening and let him know that I appreciate his efforts.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2010