Is it normal for my 5 yr old in pre-k to still watch The Wiggles, Barney and Sesame Street.

He does like Spiderman and Spongebob and Boomerrang and will watch them occasionally, but The Wiggles are his favorite.
Should I stop allowing him to watch these shows and encourage him to watch more age approprate tv when he doesn't want to? He's in Pre-k and I'm concerned other kids will start teasing him about this.

Marianne T.

Asked by Marianne T. at 12:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 7 yr old still likes some of the shows like that and so do her friends, she doesn't get teased.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 12:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I watched Barney well into elementary school. (Hey, I'm just being unabashedly honest! Lol I just really liked it!) There is nothing that says he has to watch "older" shows. The great thing about The Wiggles, etc, is that they still focus on education, while a lot of shows geared to older kids are just full of junk. TV is supposed to be for enjoyment, so if that's what he enjoys, I don't see any reason why you should force him to stop.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't worry, he's still little.
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• He's five. There are probably no shows "too young" for him yet.
    CBMMOM

Answer by CBMMOM at 12:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thanks everyone! That's how my husband feels too. I'm just a worry wort. It really helps getting an outside opinion!
    Marianne T.

Comment by Marianne T. (original poster) at 12:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't understand why you think those shows are inappropriate for his age? I personally think some of the channels really present age inappropriate material the other way. For instance, shows like Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place and etc are more age appropriate for an 11 year old, not a 5 year old. However, it seems like everybody thinks it's normal for kids as young as 2 to watch those. I think that's crazy. My 5 and 8 year old love the shows you mentioned and I think it's totally appropriate.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 1:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would give anything for my 5 year old to dislike SpongeBob!

My 5 yr old kindergartener still likes Caillou, backyardigans, and wonderpets. I think those shows have a lot more substance than standard cartoons, so I hope he sticks with them for a long time!
    p.b.

Answer by p.b. at 1:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• YTour child is fine and its ok as long as hes enjoying it dont worry
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 3:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Those shows are actually MADE for 5 year olds; younger kids just happen to like them too. They're educational; why worry?
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• yeah, why not?
    there's no age limit. Don't fall into that trap of what society says you should do in your own home. Or make your child feel self-conscience for liking something
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2010