Is it normal to start period when you are nursing

My son is 51/2 mo, it has been about 2wks since i started introducing baby food once a day to him. He still nurses frequently! I have read that in parenting magazine that as long as you are nursing you shouldnt have a menstruel cycle. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

MTHOMPSON

Asked by MTHOMPSON at 1:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its possible. There is a wide range of "normal" YIf baby is nursing less often than before, even if its slightly it could cause hormones to shift and bring back Aunt Flo.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Sure. Mine came when my daughter was a few months old. MY OB says that it's normal and not to worry. It's a pain in the 'you know what' but it's a wonderful thing that you're nursing.
    SweetSmeek

Answer by SweetSmeek at 1:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Some women EBF and get their period back at 2 months. Some women only nurse a couple times a day and stay period-free for a year. There is no "normal". Everyone is different. You may still be nursing but you're getting your period back, just like all women do at some point. Totally normal. No need to call the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I bf for over a year and had periods. I think my first one was when DD was 3 months old. It's pretty common to have a period while nursing. Mine were kinda random at first, but they settled into a normal pattern a few months after they started.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 2:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• That is normal. I started back on my period at 7 months. My doctor told me to expect it at anytime and not to trust nursing as birth control.
    debyduz

Answer by debyduz at 9:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Totally normal. I breast fed for 17 months. Mine came back after 5 months.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• you shouldn't be bleeding while your breastfeeding your child. Contact your physician.
    ProudMommie83

Answer by ProudMommie83 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• @ proudmommie83, please dont give out wrong info. there is nothing wrong with the op. is normal to have aperiod while nursing. some woman luck out and dont have one at all but if a woman gets her period while nursing is not a caused for alarm at all
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Mine came back when my son was 6 months, I was mad! I didn't want it back already! I know some women who breastfeed get it back right away... and some it takes a long time... my one friend didn't get it back for 6 months AFTER she was done nursing! Everyone's body is different.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2010