Have you taken your kids to a petting zoo?

I am taking my kids to a petting zoo tomorrow. It will be their first. They are 5 and 2 years old. They LOVE animals. My youngest's fave animal is a goat. I mean like she's practically obsessed over goats and there will be goats at the petting zoo. My question is, are they safe? I mean like do I have to worry about any of the animals biting? I know that they have bacteria(all animals do) and that I should wash their hands well afterwards and use hand sanitizer too (I'm a germaphobe).

SweetLoveofMine

Asked by SweetLoveofMine at 1:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am also a germophobe!! My SO insisted that we take our then 1 year old to some sort of farm to look at animals and to a petting zoo as well. He was not interested at all!! I am kind of an animal hater myself, so it did not heart good to see him not interested!! I won't deny my son any experience so I will do it again this year and do the stupid zoo thing too eventually but I will insist it wait until he shows an interest.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• did my heart good
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We go to the petting areas at the zoo. They have hand washing stations and hand sanitizer stations at the one we go to. I imagine that if an animal was likely to bite, then that animal would not be part of a petting zoo. Have fun!
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:34 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It will be fun. take hand sanitizer and you will be fine.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yep - we go all the time. It's fun and washing hands takes care of most of the risk. It's no worse for you than for people who work every day on farms.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We always have a good time at the petting zoo. Chances are, they will have hand sanitizer right outside the gate :)
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 7:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We did it often when the kids were young. I found you have to be careful of animals getting excited and jumping on the kids. Make sure they don't get knocked over! Other than that, and the hand washing, it is usually a good time. Have fun!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2010