my baby is 3 weeks old and will not nurse from me. im having to pump everything. im needing advice on how to increase my milk supply. i cant keep up with her and im having to give her formula at times, which i hate to do. im taking fenugreek but it doesn't seem to be helping

wwatters18

Asked by wwatters18 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• www.motherlove.com.
    look up More Milk Plus.
    Best of luck-this stuff works like a charm!!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 11:20 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know how rough it can be when your baby doesn't want to nurse, it took a month to get my son to nurse! If you need someone to talk to feel free to send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It takes a lot of practice. Giving the baby a bottle is not helping. Your just going to have to toss the bottles and put her to your breast constantly and she will eventually get the hint when she is hungry. Offer breast only and ditch the bottles. It's not too late at all.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Talk to a lactation consultant. You can find them through Le Leche League, your pediatrician, and your local hospital. They can help you with your technique, give you great tips, and listen to you vent. Breastfeeding is a lot of work. I did it for almost 5 months before my son went on a strike that we were never able to recover from. I cried for days. Don't give up! Also, are you taking enough fenugreek? I was surprised how much I had to take. Basically, if your sweat and urine smell like maple syrup, you're taking enough.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:33 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Eat oatmeal, oatmeal cookies, and anything with oatmeal in it, including oatmeal stout (beer). Encourage your baby to nurse, whenever they want, jump at the chance no matter what time!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:06 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with the motherlove , fenegreek capsules are not as strong as the liquid and you can also try goat's rue to to increase the size of the milk gland therefore increasing store space.
    Wowlovebingamom

Answer by Wowlovebingamom at 12:19 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I ate oatmeal constantly.. also, I had nipple guards.. the rubbery things that help with the latch (inverted nipples) maybe if your baby is used to that kind of feeling, you could try the nipple guards for a while, then once she gets the hang of it, ditch them! thats what I did.. I got mine at target and walmart.. total life savers. also, a beer will definately boost production.. but don't drink more than 1 every 4 hours (obviously!)
    Laurakb2420

Answer by Laurakb2420 at 1:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• First relax, you are doing great and trying your best. Can you contact llli.org and find a Lactaction Consultant in your area? Having some one on one help can be beneficial. To maintain supply try Mothers Milk Tea, oatmeal, frequent pumping, and take at least 6 capsules of fenugreek a day. I know how overwhelming this can be but you can do it! Try lots of skin to skin contact, carry baby in a sling, try different positions to get baby to latch on (football, cradle, side lying) I could write so much more to you but will run out of room so check out these links- info about baby not nursing: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html info about keeping up supply when baby won't nurse- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/maintainsupply-pump.html
    momyoftwo

Answer by momyoftwo at 1:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group; there's a sticky ont he forum with every trick known to woman.

I'd really work more on trying to get baby to latch. It can be done'; mine refused for two solid weeks but we got there.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Relax and try different nursing positions my son liked to lay down and nurse because he liked his own space. Try 'setting the mood' dim the lights, soft music, maybe sing to the baby. It is really hard to listen to your baby scream from hunger and not give her a bottle. My milk supply was low and the LCs kept telling me not to give him a bottle and just put him to the breast often, but he was still hungry. I had to just accept that I had what I had. I tried all the supplaments and they worked becuase I lost my milk alot. I would make about 8oz a day and the rest is formula. Don't stress about it, just do what you can and trust that anything is better than nothing. My son may only get an ounce a day, but that one is better than nothing and it is all I can make. I stressed so bad about my milk that I kept loosing it, relax and just do your best. Whatever she gets is better than nothing at all.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 9:47 AM on Oct. 24, 2008