Inductions with Pitocin mostly leading to c-sections?

I was induced at 41 1/2 weeks. My cervix was still completely unripe. After about 15 hours of Pitocin induced contractions, I ended up with an epidural, and shortly thereafter, a c-section. Are Pitocin induced contractions worse/stronger than natural contractions? How often does an induction end in a c-section? What is your experience with this?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 2:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is not a matter of opnion. Pitocin DOES cause more intense contractions. It has been documented a zillion times on the monitors for contractions. Induction should only be used if mom and baby are in serious danger. Not because of impatience.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• YES they are stronger than natural contractions. That is why if you are having a VBAC drs will not usually allow induction at all because the strong contractions can rupture the uterus and you can bleed out, lose the baby or have a hysterectomy. I was induced with baby # 1 had an epidural and they numbed me to a point where I couldn't push with a loss of sensation and I had a c-section. I had a VBAC with baby # 2 and they said absolutely no inducing and I was ok with that. They did though keep trying to get me to have an epidural and I refused. They just wanted to make it easier on them to get me in an o.r. and make double the $$$ on a c-sec. I went all natural no drugs and pushed out a healthy baby girl after 6 hours labor. It was about 20 mins of pushing, maybe less. And YES inductions do lead to more c-secs. Its artifically trying to start labor. Some babies and mothers aren't ready for that.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I had Pitocin, but I delivered vaginally. I guess it's different for each pregnancy. My ob does not do c-sections unless absolutely necessary.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well, I was induced for 3 days with pitocin, and ended up with a c-section, but I've had quite a few friends who had them, and gave birth within a short time after they started the pitocin.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I heard pitocin can make contractions more painful. Thats why I'm going to try for a natural birth. I'm not going to let them break my water either. I want it to break on it's own.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 2:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Honestly I think the best bet to have a c-sec free birth is with a midwife. Otherwise, you are paying for a surgeon and will most likely receive-surgery. It is what they make their money on. They just can't wait to get back to the golf course. I know a RN and she frequently has to phone "on call" drs and beg them to get their butt off the golf course because their patient is in labor. Some have argued about when they half to come off the golf course-"at 9 cm? Nah, I can wait till 10, just tell her not to push" Unnecessary c-secs raise insurance rates for everyone. Just 20 years ago c-sec rates were like 1 in 5 births and mostly pertained to multiples and emergencies. Now its about 1 in 3 and they go down on paper as "emergencies" but a lot of them aren't.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My 1st two babies were induced and the contractions weren't horrible and I had then naturally within 6-10hours after being induced. Everyone one and every birth will be different, you just can't know what your body will do until you go into labor or get induced.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Also, my doctor does not like to do C-sections unless it it absolutely necessary even if you get induced. Find out what your doctors plans are for your labor and let him know firmly what you are willing to do or not.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Since Pitocin "forces" you into having contractions, I say they cause MORE pain. I had ac-section after using Pitocin.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 2:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I was induced with my 1st and I had a vaginal delivery.Tthe contractions were a lot stronger than without the Pitocin, I realized that with my 2nd and 3rd babies, which I was not induced with.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 3:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010