Anyone have an over-sensitive daughter? How do you handle it?

My DD is 20, it doesn't get better

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 2:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• well i have an overly sensitive, at times, nine yr old boy. but its mostly my fault for having this illness, problem, or phobia. i either tell him that its ok in a soft reassuring voice or tell him the honest truth that it is just a stuffed animal and it cant feel a thing so get over it. there is the germ thing....u know about washing hands contantly, but that one is the least of it since its a true phsical, even doctor professional concern...to wash constantly, or germx. its getting a titch better, and if thats the worse thing he does than i have nothing to worry about thats for sure.;)lol feel free to email me any time. need real true decent friends. amymomprincess@aol.com
    momson666

Answer by momson666 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2010

• Try to be understanding. Odds are she is very loving and caring. There are worst things to be than sensitive. I do not find that a flaw. Personally I would be thankful that dd doesn't have a bad problem like drugs or alcohol(if that's the case). Listen to her and accept her for who she is.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well put first responder.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am very oversensitive, it gets better with life experience. I am still sensitive but now it's mainly a good thing. I feel a lot for others, When it gets overwhelming I just have to cry and get it out and it helps, then I carry on. She will learn how to handle it. Don't know if I am making sense :) I am pregnant so my brain is a little gone. I have changed a lot from my 20's to my late 20's in a very good way.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 3:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'm hypersensitive, as is my mother and one of my sisters. My mom and I have found that the best way to deal with it is to be understanding and keep an open and honest dialogue. We don't apologize for our feelings, but we do apologize for any insensitive phrasing that might be used and we try to work things out as soon as they kink up to prevent feelings of upset from festering.
    sirshay

Answer by sirshay at 3:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• This will get better with age, just love her exactly how she is.

Answer by older at 8:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'm 24 and still very sensitive. I cry at the drop of a hat, no joke ASPCA commercials have me needing a box of tissues! It pisses my mom off to no end and it causes a lot of conflict. She hates when I cry and I can barely talk about something remotely sad without crying. Someone I have known for a very long time recently lost his wife to cancer. He is not even 30 years old and whatnot I cried. i haven't seen him in 12 years and never met his wife. I would say accept your DD the way she is or you will have problems between you like my mom and I do!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I used to be ultra sensitive but life toughened me up as it will everyone. Just try to be understanding. It will get better.
    y0la40

Answer by y0la40 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am 38 and oversensitive according to current societal standards. That is not always a bad thing- people who are sensitive can feel not only sad easily, but happy and loving...

Anyway, men in my life occasionally try to "toughen me up", and all it does is make it worse and make me insecure and depressed, so please don't try that. The only things that help at all are a sense of perspective. But I think for most people, it is a facet of their personality, much like generosity or stubbornness. Sometimes it may change, but very seldom and not when and how you'd expect.

My son is very sensitive, and 5. I worry about him, but the best I can hope for is that he learn to hide it a little and deal with it in private. Also, there are some arenas in life (like some churches) that allow for sensitive individuals to express themselves. That might really help- to give it an outlet and make them feel accepted.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• It is called highly sensitive personality. It's a real thing, my friend from highschool is a psychologist specializing in it. you should take this quiz and read the books to better learn how to deal with your daughter so that you can understand her and he feels loved. http://www.hsperson.com/pages/test.htm good luck! I'm a bit of a Highly sensitive person too. The books are above the quiz there are workbooks etc. u can probably find them at the library.
    strawberryLVR

Answer by strawberryLVR at 11:24 AM on Oct. 4, 2010