Serious question for Republicans and moderate Independents about next Presidental race

I would like serious answers to this question. What Republican would you like to see run for President in the next election and why? What people do you think are the best choices? And no rude childish bashing by anyone please. I want an intelligent discussion here. I truly am curious about who people like and think would do a good job.

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 3:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I say the same thing. I want someone from the middle where the American ppl are not these far out left and far our rights that keep getting to the end of the elections. It feel like I have to pick between the better of 2 evils and that is not really a choice.
    We need someone with common sense and heart for the people. I am so worn out from all this fighting of left and right. the two sides and there to BALANCE each other not to start a war of I am more correct than you because blah blah blah.
    I want someone who thinks like 90% of the American people is this too much to ask these days? :o) Why do the good ppl not seem to make it on the ballet? sorry I am venting, I am tired of American fighting itself instead of working together to become better.
    and like was said with the divorce example, I am tired of feeling like the kids bashed around in the fight!!!
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 5:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I so pretty much agree with Lori. Right now, in my eyes the social issues are on the back burner. Sure they are important but if you live in a crap hole what difference does anything else make? I'd say 75% of America really doesn't realize what kind of fiscal shape our country is in. It's bad and the spending has to stop. We can't subsidize everyone into prosperity. No one has and no one ever will. The agenda of we have to help everyone who has fallen on times is not going to help in the long run. Get to the source of the pain and stop it, don't just keep aiding and abetting. This is a moms site so I know everyone has kids. That's who we should be thinking of now. Is this what you want for your child when you are gone?

I don't want the run of the mill Republican as my President. While it is early, I think Rick Santorum and Mike Pence are both testing the waters. I like them both.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I know this would never happen, but honestly, I would love to see a "mixed ticket". If there was a Liberal Republican that was sharing a ticket with a Conservative Democrat. I would almost not care who was listed in the Pres spot and who was in the Vice Pres spot if that was to happen.

I would almost certainly vote for that. I can't say I would with 100% certainty, because I would want to see their platform and personal record, but for me, if they could show me (with past record coupled with a mixed ticket) that they were willing to cross party lines and truly work for what was best for the country, not for their particular party (or what will screw over the other party), then they would almost certainly have my vote....

But again, I seriously doubt this would ever happen... (Though I think it almost did - if McCain had picked Lieberman as a running mate...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• By the way, that wasn't meant as a bash on anyone or either party in particular. I think that BOTH parties are guilty of putting the needs of the country well down on the list, with furthering their own personal (individual politician) success, their party's image, and the destruction of the other party / individuals in that party WELL ahead of the needs of the country as a whole.

Much like a married couple who are getting a divorce and who get so caught up in their hatred and anger towards each other that they use the kids (or, in this case, the country) against each other....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Agreed...someone TRULY in the middle, based on political track record, not just what he/she SAYS!!! But above all the candidate HAS to have a proven track record of fiscal conservancy, reduction in government, and not placating or pandering to the unions and lobbyists!!

That said, I think it's a little too early, but in 2016 Chris Christie would be that person! In the meantime, if they are running for 2012...Mitch Daniels, Paul Ryan and/or Bobby Jindal.

Sorry that they're all Republicans, but the qualities above TEND to be Republican/conservative leaning values that are the MOST important for EVERYONE! Sure, abortion, gay rights/marriage are important too, but they are not the "be all end all" for ALL citizens of this country!! If we take care of our poor economic situation, THEN we can worry about everyone's civil rights and social issues.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Honestly, I would rather wait 12 months before we even discuss this. I get tired of focusing on the "next race". Let's focus on people doing the job they were hired to do instead of focusing on trying to posture to keep or get their jobs.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree I would like somebody from the middle. Something really needs be done. As to who I am not sure yet.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't think I have seen him or her yet! But then I haven't really been researching the possibilities. I do know I would like someone who will tell the truth whether or not it is what people WANT to hear. I think both major parties need to do a little "soul searching"- if they have any soul left- and properly form their platforms on real issues and governing effectively. No more "pie in the sky" ideals, no more party only agendas, no more global mumbo jumbo. We cannot continue on the current path. That being said I think I will start doing my own homework on this issue!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Right now I will never vote for the one the party is pushing, On both sides, this is how we get dumb and dumber!

Do your own research and it is never to early to focus on the next race.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• from what I looked at so far... Paul Ryan looks promising but I still want to do more research... some of the sites I went to for others wasnt deep enough. Time will also tell who looks more promising and who doesnt.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010