Babys temp is 104 HELP

we left the E.R. a few hours ago, they said my 16mo old has a middle ear infection and pharyngitis. They gave her amoxicilin. I have given her 1 dose. I have given her 2 doses of ibuprofen for her fever. She can not have any more ibuprofen until 4am. But her fever is crawling higher and higher!
It is 102.9 under her arm pit. I just got off the phone with an advice nurse at the hospital we were at- she said dont call until her fever is 104 under her arm pit. Im scared, my baby is burning up. We just got out of a luke warm bath. And shes burning up- her skin is so hot!

My family has history of sezures when getting too hot. Help!

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 4:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Health

• You can alternate Motrin and Tylenol. My ped said to give one(motrin) and an hour later give the other(tylenol). Write down what you gave and the time and give it again when its time. I like to start with the one that last the longest, think its motrin.

If you Ped./Dr. office has an on call number call them.

My sons Ped told us not to take him to the ER unless it was life or death. They really messed up with my son the 1 and only time hes been. They refused to listen to us. Told us he had double ear infection. Next day his Dr. said his ears were fine he had bronchitis about to be pneumonia. We tried to tell them we could hear something in his chest and he was coughing.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 10:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• And if you have to or want to take her back to the ER - tell that nurse that you are the advocate for your baby's health and that SHE will treat your child or get someone else who will. THEY ARE NOT IN CHARGE. YOU ARE THE MOTHER AND THE "CLIENT". SHE NEEDS TO DO HER F-ING JOB.
    StRita

Answer by StRita at 5:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• suppositories work the best. When my kids fevers got too high and the meds won't work well enough, to keep them from the ER I use fever all suppositories (get the right dosage for your babies age, the age range is diff than oral meds, there are more choices). My SIL told me about them. They are easy to use and they are absorbed very quick unlike waiting for oral meds to kick in. luke warm bath, anything is cooler than that baby starts to shiver from the cold it will push her fever up. (shivering is how the body warms up) I have always been told not to use a cold bath or ice because they make the body shiver
    the fever all suppository is made with the same stuff in tylenol, and so you can swap between it and the oral motrin just like you could if they were both oral meds. call back and ask if they didn't tell you about swapping between the tylenol and motrin and when you can give her tylenol because the fever is rising.
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 5:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I meant keep up with the luke warm baths, but don't use anything too cold that will make her shiver. they should have given you more info than they did. do what you have to for your baby, who cares if that lady gets mad, let her, your baby needs help. try and keep as calm as you can so you can think clearly to help her. I hope the fever gets under control soon
    KaraMia15

Answer by KaraMia15 at 5:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If you are scared go back to the E.R., you know what is best. You said that your family has a history of sezures. If you think she is to hot do what your mommy gut is telling you. The nurse is not god and she is not a doctor. I would go back. This is what I would do.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 5:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Alright first calm down, and collect yourself-next step is the bath, but if that doesn't work my husband suggested ice packs placed on the hot spots on the body (under arm and forehead) baby will fuss remember to use thin cloth covering ice pack or will get too cold to touch on baby's skin this will help a lot and let baby sit in diaper clothes will add extra heat. Also my peditrician recommends switching from motrin to tynlonel (go back in forth between the two) will keep baby from buildin tolerance to motrin and work better but make sure u time them from 4-6 hrs or 6-8 wats recommended
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 5:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• we did this for our 12 month old he had virus and it gave him fever of 103-104 on and off for week and helped hope baby gets well soon!
    heartsicksiren

Answer by heartsicksiren at 5:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• IF you have any of those beanbags that you can heat in the microwave for stomach pain or whatever throw them in the freezer - we have a bunch and my kids use them as pillows when they have a temp - or the ice packs on her head/neck/small of her back using a cloth to keep it off her skin.

GL hun. Hope she's better soon!
    StRita

Answer by StRita at 5:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• How is she doing? Has the fever broke? The warm baths and the medication and no clothes is all good advice. A cool cloth to the forehead and otherareas of the body. Avoid the ice. If you have air conditioning, turn it on to about 65 degrees. At the hospital when a patient is running a high fever in the ICU they turn up the air conditioning.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Have you alternated the Motrin and Tylenol. Tht is wht I do when my little ones are sick. Feel better baby...

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 8:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2010