I think my kids went crazy!

I have a 12 Boy and 11 girl, both got referrals and suspensions two weeks ago, and upon further investigation I found most of their teachers were have behavior issues with them. Instead of beating them, like I wanted to, I decided that a nice long horrible grounding might do the trick. I spent the entire evening trying to figure out how long, when it occured to me. They are both grounded until I am sick of hearing about how great my kids are! And by that I specified that I needed a phone call a day from every teacher who enjoyed having them in class, and when I get tired of the phone calls, they are off punishment. In the meantime, every offense worth punishment adds a day to the end of the punishment. The teachers are all telling me its normal for kids this age to start testing limits, I'm not buying it... Anyone in my boat? Any encouraging words? I am losing my mind!

nowIknow

Asked by nowIknow at 11:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think what you are doing is great! Just be consistant and don't let them off the hook. Way to take control mom!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• While it may be true that alot of kids this age start realizing they don't "have" to obey the rules. I think yoru punishment is perfect. Like another mom said be consistant, you have to follow through twith your punishment. From your question it sounds like you will, sounds like you have this one under control....way to go mom!!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• O think thats an awesome punishment. My oldest is 9, and we haven't had too many issues yet, but I think I will keep this in mind for when they do get older.
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 3:25 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• This is so the age were they test their limits. At this point they are not really old enough to make there own decision, still they are not children. They are looking for freedoms and it sounds like they are going about it the wrong way.

With that said I do think that they need to be punished for what they did. You just need to be consistent with them. I would also make sure the teachers are on board with you. If they are not then your punishment will not work.

The other thing is I got my son, who is 11, a book called "To Old For This, To Young for That" It is a great book about surviving middle school and some of the changes they go through. I know that my son loved it and I from what I read of it, it was very helpful.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I like it, just make sure you stick with it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Love this idea!! I haven't had many problems this year, but last year I did. I wish I would have read this post a yr ago!! If they act up at school, I'm stealing your idea!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:05 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• This is a good idea. WTG!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 11:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't blame you for doing this, my DD is crazy also but she's only 2 and she's just active. But you can't give in, otherwise it just gets worse.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 4:11 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• puberty is a rough time for kids. It's a make or break it time for many. I wish you well on your endeavor with them.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:30 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Puberty is a tough time for them. Make sure they feel loved, the can be grounded from some things, but never from learning through life, and spending time with mom, feeling loved. One boy I knew carried a spiral notebook to school and after class each class, the teacher would either put a sticker or smiley face and sign her name or write that he was acting up.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:44 AM on Oct. 25, 2008