At what point do you give up and accept it?

The kids not wanting to do activities or sports.
Mine are 11 and at some point I feel you just have to accept they are never going to want to do certain things.

What do you do with 11YO boys that are total homebodys and not into outside activities or crafts?

BTW: They have autism and anger issues and do not interact well with peers who do not understand and tease them to get them riled up cuz they think its funny.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Check w/ your local Board of Developmental Disabilities for asst. They have "providers" who plan different activities, like playing pool, bowling, etc. that have kids w/ similar disabilities and people who are trained to handle behaviors. (Or you could go along too) Special Olympics may be another place to check. (They even have swimming -which most kids love to do) I hope you find the right choice for your child.. Good luck :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• karate?
    acting classes?
    are they handy with computers and or video games? see if they can volunteer at a nursing home or senior center to teach others these skills.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 7:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You really can't force then into doing things.. but maybe can suggest that you all go to a game and take your son, oh a few times.. That might help. Other then that, i am not sure what to say.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 7:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Spend your money in some sort of theripy for Autistic children. If their is anything like that. I probably will help them more then sport or crafts they do not like.

Answer by louise2 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You might want to see if you can find something like LoveBuggs suggests. You can call your town offices or chamber of commerce to see what the town offers and also check the yellow pages. There are also groups on here that might help you. Go to the pull down for groups and search under autism/autistic. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son has Asperger's and I had to pretty much accept that at like 5. lol. wet tried gymnastics and Karate soccer and all were a total bust! He is in Horse back riding now and LOVES that. It's technically therapy but it's a 'group lesson' He has 2-3 other kids in his 'class' it's run by a therapist. She works on social skills, balance and upper body strength. I know he will out grow it in the next 2-3 years but maybe I will be able to get him into a regular horsemanship class when he is 8 or 9. Anyway. I know how you feel. It's hard when they just can't understand the point of sports and can't handle a busy setting like gymnastics or Karate...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• They do go to therapy already. But for the remaining 13 days between appointments, they don't do much outside of the house unless I make them go on walks with me, which won't last much longer as they get older and bigger.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Quit trying? What are you trying? To force them in to being something they aren't? Why would you try in the first place? If my kids don't want to be involved in that stuff, I see no reason to try and push it... My kids can pick what they want to do, if they don't want to do it, they don't have to... It's not like this stuff is going to change their life. My mother pushed us in to one thing after another because SHE wanted us to do it... We hated it! I would say keep offering, but don't push...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• First of all...do not force them against their will. Perhaps they are not interested now and may be later. I have one extremely outgoing son and another who is a homebody. They will find their niche in time.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 9:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010