my 5 year old still ets the bed sometimes help

She will be 5.5 the end of the month and she has been potty trained since she was 19 months old. The thing is my 2.5 year old has been potty trained since she was around 20 or 21 months old and she doesn't pee the bed. I know it isn't because she drinks a lot during the day because she is in school so it isn't like she has a lot to drink then my rule is nomore to drink 2 hours before bedtime and you have to go pee before bed even if you don't have to go you have to try to go. The thing is she will pee before bed and she still pees the bed. It isn't all the time just sometimes. She crys when she wakes up because she peed. Like last night her and her daddy were watching a movie in the our bedroom together she fell asleep so we were getting ready for bed DH woke her to go to her bed she peed our bed she started crying because she peed the bed. So I slept on the couch since it was myside of the bed CONT...

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• 1. Its not totally un-normal.
    2. if its pretty often consider using night diaper (Goodnites by huggie are AWESOME -- can you tell I have the same issue)
    3. by a plastic cover for the mattress... they are not that expensive and it will save the mattress
    4. its kinda normal still at her age so just help her change the sheets (always have 2-3 sheets per bed) and go on... no scolding etc. she feels pretty bad about it already

Have patience... my dd is 5.5 and still does it on a reg. basis too, sometimes even when she takes a nap if its a deep one. Esp. when she's been sick etc. I just remember that I have family members that did it for a LOOOOnnng time and go on. You could try taking her to the bathroom b/f you go to bed too (for us it doesn't work but its worth a try).
    G.L. mommy.. this to shall pass (eventually)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's actually pretty normal up to age 7 or 8. They make special devices that beep to wake the child at the first sign of wetness. Most times the child just is either a very hard sleeper or have a small bladder for their age. Talk to her doctor about the device and see if they have other suggestions. Just keep in mind this is still pretty normal... My son is 6 and still wets the bed once in a blue moon.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Use a waterproof pad that can be changed quickly if there are accidents. That way she goes back to a dry bed. As others said it can take a long time for this to end.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• At 5, thats beyond normal. Kids can pee in bed well into their teens in some cases, just not as often. They'll grow out of it when they are ready.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• and the sheets were off the bed from her peeing the bed and it was 11:30 I wasn't staying up to wash sheets. Why does she keep peeing the bed? What can I do about it? She already messed up one mattress. I do remember one time I was about 9 years old that I woke up wet (Pee) so I changed my underwear and went back to bed. Not sure if that was a one time thing or if I peed the bed that long.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Try taking her to the bathroom when YOU go to bed and remember that many children pee in their beds until they go through puberty. Be patient and make sure you aren't blaming her for something she has NO control over.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:05 AM on Oct. 3, 2010