HELP! What do I do...

My DS (2 1/2) tells me all day he isn't hungry and only eats a bit here and there. I sit with him and keep reiminding him to eat etc. Yes, I know, he will eat when he is hungry. This is all well and good except he is hungry @ 10PM!!! His bedtime is @ 7/7:30. Last night was a TOTAL nightmare. He woke yp @ 11 and screamed ALL night tha he was hungry! This is not exceptable for us. This AM I figured he would eat because he was "so hungry". Well, no such luck..."I'm not hungry ma ma." What do I do???? He doesn't eat all day but keeps us up ALL night because he decides that is ok...We tried ignoring because we don't want to make it a habbit. After a few hours of crying I couldn't take it anymore. So I went in and laid with him until he fell asleep (an hour later)...grrrr

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 8:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm sorry I dont know...I never had anything like that happen the only thing I can think of to suggest is to ask your ped if he/she has any tricks that might help. I'm sure they've had a patient before that its happened to I think that might be your best bet.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• when i was younger and going through a growth spurt i wouldn't feel hungry during the day and at night i was starving... or maybe a tape worm or something more serious? (has anything else changed?) have him drink like ensure before going to bed. tell him its like a milk shake/ dessert that way he gets the nutrition he needs and doesnt go to bed and wake up starving.
    pinkdena

Answer by pinkdena at 8:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Sorry to hear this. I never had this problem but you could try talking it over with him. He is old enough to understand that night time is not time to eat. There will be no food after dinner. Maybe you could also get him involved with making his food. Actually let him help make a sandwich, etc? Just ideas. I wish you good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It sonds to me as if he has figured out that this is a way to get you into the bed with him or to get attention. If he is eating here and there throughout the day then he is fine. Tell him that his actions are unacceptable and that he WILL NOT get the attention he is wanting. If you give in now then life is only a downward spiral from here. He will develop a bad attitude, always think he can get what he wants when he wants it, etc. Stay strong and let him know who is boss. You will have to learn to go into his room and tell him he has to stop crying because you and his dad will not allow him to behave this way. If you seriously put your put down and stop babying him, he will grow up and drop the act.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I make my 2 yr old DD sit at the table and finish her food before she gets down.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well, I certainly DON'T baby him..I have always pretty good about letting him CIO since birth. This said when a toddler cries for 3 hours in the middle of the night (He ALWAYS sleeps through the night since 10 weeks) it is unbearable. I have NEVER gone in to lie with him before. A momment of weakness but certainly NOT a habit.

Loving I have been doing that as well but he will literally sit there and not eat for an hour. I started putting him back in his booster today. It has worked a little..Thanks
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I know its frustrating. My three sons would make bedtime hours and hours of h*ll for me. One main whine was hunger. I fought them over and over until I myself was past exhaustion. i hated giving in but i decided to let them have a half of pb&j or nutella and banana sandwich after story time. This seemed to do the trick. Bed time was much quieter. One other thing I started doing when they got a bit older was take them swimming at the local pool a couple hours before bed, then the half san, and they craweled into dreamland content and satisfied.
    wa_angel_mom

Answer by wa_angel_mom at 10:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Im not sure my son doesnt do that
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• when my neice was younger she would get extremly hungry at night. The dr told them if she wakes up like that to give her some milk.
    Kids are like adults if you dont eat then you need to eat less... if your child was starving all night then in the morning they may not feel hungry (it happens to adults too)
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 7:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• uuuugggg...now he has been crying since bedtime for NO reason!!! (1.5 hours)!! he is def. into some type of power struggle thing. When he was fully potty trained for 6 weeks and decided he didn't want to go anymore unless he felt like it. Otherwise he went in his pants. Now we put him in pullups and he tells us all the time!! Then the eating thing...not eating as a power thing and waking up in the middle of the night so we will cater. Since we ddin't cave on that either he is trying something new. Really?? What gives??
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010