Adopting unborn neice or nephew

My brother is 18, his girlfriend is 16. She is pregnant and cant keep the baby. Everyone she knows is pushing her to get an abortion, even my family. I am all for pro choice but would rather she didn't. she wants to give it up for adoption, but I cant let my neice or nephew go to a stranger. I know there are many women who cant have children and would love this one, but I really want the baby. I need to know what procedures I would have to go through if they do decide to let me adopt. will there be fee's, months of paper work? any info would be helpful, thanks.

cassie_kellison

Asked by cassie_kellison at 11:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Adoption

• You would have to have a home study (they just come and talk to you, hubby and children that can talk and you will have to put all your bills on paper and how much income you have, we didn't have to have check stubs they just wanted to be sure we could afford it,) court costs, background checks for you and hubby, there isn't much paperwork. They just want background info on birth parents and them to sign away their rights. And you have to fill out a new birth certificate application so your and hubby's name will be on the BC. I am assuming your married if your not then forget about the hubby part.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:34 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• You need to contact an attorney that deals with family matters. Most of them offer consultations at no charge so you could get some insight on what it would take for the adoption. I'm sure that there will be paperwork and fees, but I would imagine it would be easier for a family member to adopt the child. Good Luck!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 12:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• And if your on Tricare get a temporary custody agreement until the adoption goes through and they will allow the baby on insurance. As long as you and hubby are responsible for more than 50% of the child's upkeep. Which you would be.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:37 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Kelli, all three answers are really right on. Especially the temporary custoday papers and attorney. Bless you and I hope you get the baby. You are a really good mom.
    kbpegasus

Answer by kbpegasus at 10:10 AM on Oct. 24, 2008