My daughter's spit up is clear. Could this mean she is getting mostly fore-milk and not enough of the hind-milk?

She doesn't like to stay on the first breast offered for too long, and then when I switch her to the other side she stays on for a while and then either falls asleep, acts as if she is barely sucking, or gets up and then eventually spits up a clear watery liquid. Could she not be getting enough of the hind milk? She has always been on the smaller side and she is now 3 months old.

I just recently tried to block feed, but she just straight out refuses to stay on just one side.

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is gaining well, having enough wet and dirty diapers and your breasts feel softer after a feeding most likely she is getting what she needs. To ensure she is getting a good balance of milk while she is feeding you can do breast compressions while she is latched on.
    here is some info on if an older baby is getting enough milk- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html
    and her is some info on breast compressions- http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compression.html
    momyoftwo

Answer by momyoftwo at 1:46 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Clear spitup would be teething. It's merely saliva. She's doing fine on the milk.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:08 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• if you are really worried about her getting all your milk try pumping for a few mins first like maybe five. Then put her on the breast and she goes straight to the hind milk. My son has always been an up down eater and I had to pump first to make sure he got the fatty milk for his weight gain when I was only breastfeeding.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 10:49 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with the last mom, pump alittle before feeding to ensure she is getting the fatty milk.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I agree with gdiamante - if she is gaining weight like she is supposed to and wetting enough diapers, then it is most likely saliva. My daughter never drooled in her sleep, so it all just collected in her mouth and she spit it out when I picked her up from a nap.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:28 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• breastmilk often looks a bit clear or thin, but that DOESNT mean it's not fatty. Women often decide that breastmilk is weak and not caloric because it's thin and clear-ish, which isnt true. Also, if your baby spits up RIGHT after eating, it could just be that the milk didnt settle at all in their tummy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Oct. 25, 2008