Do you drink caffeine while breastfeeing?

I've been nursing my son for 4 months and haven't touched any coffee. I'm kinda dying...haha. I've heard a cup a day is okay...what have you noticed?

Sarahbeth7

Asked by Sarahbeth7 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, I do. I am awful! :/ With my first I didn't drink any, with my second I drank a little bit, with my 3rd I drank a cup a day, with my fourth. Well . . . . . . with kids ages 4, 3, 2, and almost 1, let's just say I drink what I need to. :D

I try to drink my coffee immediately after nursing, that way the caffeine has some time to go through my body before I nurse again.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My dd's 17 mo & I'm still BF twice a day. I love my coffee! When she was younger & nursing more frequently I just nursed her before I drank any. By the time she nursed again in a few hours I didn't notice any effects from the caffeine. I started drinking it about 4 mo I think. No change in personality or energy level for her.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I drank mountain dew all the time when breastfeeding my first. I also smoked. I also ate things I wasn't supposed to when pregnant. I basically did a ton of things I shouldn't have. My son is 3, and intelligent and perfectly fine. I think too many people worry that they'll mess their kids up for life. Enjoy that cup of coffee! You've earned it.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I tried drinking caffeine with both of my pregnancies but both times it would keep my infants awake at night. So I had to stop if I wanted to sleep at night.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My first child couldn't handle even a couple sips of caffeine while I was nursing him, but my second was fine with it. My first child would get cranky and not sleep if I even took a couple sips. Just like alcohol if you drink it right after a nursing session it will likely pass from your blood stream before the next nursing session and be fine. After my first was going longer stretches without nursing that is what I did and had no problem.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am sure I did sometimes. I tried really hard not to though! lol
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2010