Second baby and scared...

I just found out I'm pregnant with our second child and I'm terrified. I don't know if I want to/ can handle more sleepless nights, teething, potty training. My current child is 3, will be 4 in January. Did any other mothers have second thoughts when you found out you were pregnant with 2/3/4? Is two children much more difficult than one? If you were nervous, was everything alright once the baby was born?

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 9:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My first two were 3 months apart and although it is scary, you live through it . Two is always more difficult than one but nothing you can't bear, everything will work out mom, no need to be scared.

Answer by older at 9:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think with the second your more comfortable with being a Mom. You tend to let the second one just be cause your more sure of your self. Just relax you have 9months to prepare yourself for the birth and life.
    sillyme85

Answer by sillyme85 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My dd was 6 months old when I found out I was pg w/ my 2nd. You bet I was scared but I was also excited and happy. Mine are 14 months apart. Its hard but its great b/c they are friends. I did go through a lot of pp after my ds was born. I didn't tell anyone but thankfully I had a great support system that knew me so w/in 6 months I was doing much better but I wish I would have talked to the dr sooner that way I could have bonded better w/ my ds
    izzybear0217

Answer by izzybear0217 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i have 3 kids of my own full time live in with me and 1 stepdaughter that comes over a couple times a wk and wkends...i think when one finds out that she is pregnant the first reaction is nervousness and sacredness and it is perfectly normal to have those feelings mama...it does seem like a lot like you will not be able to manage like its close to imposable...but once you hold that baby in your arm believe me all those feelings and fear you have right now will never cross your mind...for every pregnancy i got terrified but seeing all 4 of my kids i could have never picture my life any different...don't worry just know that you have a lot of mama's here that are willing to take time out and support you in any way you need...wishing you all the best and don't stress you don't want to pass that on to your baby...
    2 KIDS AND 3 AND 4 JUST SO YOU KNOW KEEP EACH OTHER COMPANY...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 9:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I am DREADING the sleepless nights again. I will be due at the end of the month and I can feel the difference in my age. But on the other hand. You have 9 months to adjust so the panic you feel now is understandable but once you hear the heartbeat and get the ultrasound I would not be surprised if you have a change of heart (you may always dread the sleepless nights, I do not know anyone who loves them). Also your first child is at a GREAT age. He or she will be a wonderful help for you. They can get diapers, throw them away, entertain the baby while your cooking and be play buddies when the baby gets older. If you try and focus on the wonderful points it will be easier. Also ask for extra help from your SO. Even if its to let you take naps when he is home or make dinner. Good luck and congrats!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I didn't feel that way with my second but I did with my third. He was a surprise, and I cried when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't want another baby. I was done. I didn't want to be pregnant, I didn't want to go through child birth, I didn't want to start over. Looking back, I'm thankful for him. He's my baby, and he completed our family.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It's a little hectic at first but it will work out. Get your family to come and be with you for a week or so when the baby comes. The age difference in your family should help you out a lot. Get the older child involved in the care of the baby. Just little things will mean a lot. Remember to let the older one know he/she is not being replaced. Relax and know that you can do this!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I found that things were neither really that much easier of harder when I had my second child. It just was. There were two. They are 16 months apart, and right there with each other on everything that they do. My youngest pushed and pushed so that he could be on the same level as his big sister.

Personally, I think that once the baby is here, all of your fears and such will disappear and you will be totally overjoyed! Relax. You can do it. And congrats!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thank you for all the kind words and reassurances! I'm in a much better position with this child then I was with my first (I have a SO, I'm 19 not 15, and I have a good job, more family.) I'm sure we'll be alright, just nervous. Luckily I still have all the baby stuff from the first.
    Annabel1809Lee

Comment by Annabel1809Lee (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• yeah you will be fine
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010