HasAnyone ever been taken to small claims court for money owed to a RELATIVE??

I have NEVER been to small claims court...just looking for other people's experiences! Thanks

Amiss67

Asked by Amiss67 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope because I've never taken money from or given money to a relative. I, as a general rule, just don't lend out money period. And if I need to borrow money - there are better places than friends or family.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Oh - good luck though!
    twinsplus2more

• Nope I don't take money nor lend money to relatives that's just not a good idea if someone wants something I will gladly buy that for them but when I do I know I won't get paid back so it's just a gift then and I know come their birthday or Christmas whaever I know not to get them anything then
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I've sat through small claims court - in our county, all of the cases for the day are heard back to back in an open courtroom. Each side presents it's case, then the judge decides. They usually give the people that owe the money 30 days to pay, and if they don't contempt of court is filed against them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If you owe the money make arrangements to pay it. Document the arrangement and the payments. If it goes to small claims court the judge will make arrangements for you or will allow the person owed money to - to garnish your checks until it it paid or put a lein against property until its paid or the property will be sold. One way or the other the person owed WILL get their money so before it gets to a horrible court situation, man-up and make arrangements to get the bill paid again document everything! If your the one owed, decide if its worth the anguish your bringing into your family situation. Sometimes it better to just let it go and dont do it ever again! Lesson learned on both sides of the coin. RIGHT?
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 10:50 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would like to know how to do this myself. I lend a friend $800.00 and I might just kiss the $800.00 bye bye, it has been a year and I only got 100.00
    this was verbal agreement, so I don't know how to prove it.

:(
    Good question
    Ahealthyskin

Answer by Ahealthyskin at 6:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well, I was foolish enough to borrow from a relative back when my marriage was falling apart and I was going to lose my house...stupid me forgot about it, and the relative never , ever mentioned it until a few months ago. That said, I have been making payments to her every month after I was threatened to be taken to court (because we don't speak). Sooo..I make payments and she STILL takes me to court! Just wondering if I had a snowballs chance in hell of walking away from this in court since she is getting her money paid back...
    Amiss67

Comment by Amiss67 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Oh...and nothing put in writing except whatever was written on the check...
    Amiss67

Comment by Amiss67 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Oct. 6, 2010