How can i ask for a raise for the child I keep?

I keep one little boy in my home I have kept him since he was 11 months he is now 3. She pays me $75 a week and I watch him 5 days a week between 9-10 hours a day. I was going to ask her if she can start giving me $85 a week b/c I don't get child support for my child right now and I am having a hard time. She don't supply his wipes, food, drinks...and when he leaves she makes me fill his juice cup up with juice daily no matter if I tell her he just had a ton to drink she says well he will cry if he gets in the car with no juice. (they only live not even 5 mins from me) My question is how can I ask for more money I am not good with asking for things. I kinda don't want to use the childsupport as an excuse b/c she might think once I start getting child support again she can go back to the $75 a week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just explain to her that with the way prices keep going up you are going to have to ask for an additional $10./week to care for her child OR she will need to start suppling juice, wipes, etc... I'd give her a week or so notice before she needs to start doing one or the other.
    Jocelyn_411

Answer by Jocelyn_411 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Definitely don't use child support as an excuse. I would call local day care providers, and find out what the cost of daycare in your area would be for the number of hours you provide daycare. Find out what's included that you've been providing, and then compare that to what you're providing. I think you're probably WAY below normal rates. I would tell her the expenses have gone up, and you need to charge more, then if she doesn't want to pay more, find a different parent to do childcare for, and give her notice that you won't be able to keep her child.

Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It sounds like you are being underpaid - just let her know that expenses keep going up, you haven't increased the rate in 2 years, its time for an increase.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Just ask for it. Tell her it's a cost of living increase.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Have you considered changing jobs? If you have a child on your own, then you need to get paid a little bit more.
    Are you a certified nanny? Which means, having a certificate such as CPR? Or are you just taking care of the child?

I would check other rates or look for another job.

A contract would have been nice to have when you first started. meaning, an ___% increase in salary per year will be required, etc. I pay $50.00 a week for my daughter and she is being taken care of for about 2 hours a day...just to give you a comaprison...

Good luck!
    Ahealthyskin

Answer by Ahealthyskin at 10:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Wow!!! I want to move near you! I pay my babysitter $30 a day for 5 days a week. And I provide food and juice. She does provide the wipes. And she is CHEAP for my area. The local Child Care facilities charge around $1000 a month!
    Just tell her that the cost of living is rising and so is the cost of food, juice and wipes. For that reason you will need to raise her cost as well. Stand your ground.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think you should as for way more than just 10 more a week. You should at least be getting $100 a week.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• That's rediculous!! I pay my babysitter $10/hour for 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week and in MY house so I provide food and drinks for both him and my daughter.
    I would just ask for it. If someone asked me in a nice way I wouldn't be offended!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 10:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My sitter wrote a letter for all the parents saying that because of the increase in cost of living the past few years, she just cant afford to charge what she does. She asked if we would either pay more or bring the kids' meals with them. I thought it was completely fair.

I think you should put it in writing. Tell her what the price increase is (and you dont have to give her an excuse at ALL) and give her a timeline on when she has to start paying that, or find another sitter. (Like a week or two)
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 11:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I personally think that if you are gonna be watching her child that much and providing everything than you should go up to $100 a week. I wouldn't expect to pay anything less if someone was watching my son. I paid my sitter $75 a week and she only watched him 5 hours a day, and I provided everything.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 11:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2010