How much do you really pay in taxes?

There's so much talk about 40% of the middle class who do not pay anything in taxes? Is this correct or just another lie? Do you pay taxes on your gasonline, heating oil, natural gas, food, clothing, car registration, car license, telephone, cable, other utilities, toll roads, parking fees, etc,..? Is this not paying taxes? Everyone here in the USA pays taxes even tourists!

akhlass

Asked by akhlass at 12:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• perhaps they're considering what people get in their tax returns, whether they receive or owe money? as military, we almost always get money back in taxes, and when we shop on base almost everything is tax-free
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I pay close to 38k a year. It isn't so bad, it isn't as if I give it to them, I lose it in his paycheck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Taxes are taken out each time my husband recieves his check! Yes we do recieve a return during tax season! However there are things such as social sercurity and such that we do not get.
    We also pay taxes with our purchases at stores, for gas, heating, ect.. However we are under the $250,000 so things should stay the same for us atleast for the most part.
    wildiesmomma

Answer by wildiesmomma at 12:22 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• They are talking about income taxes.
    People making under a certain amount do pay out in their checks, everyone does. They however, get everything they paid in back, and some get back more than was paid in. So yes. The 40% is correct.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• 40% income taxes..big difference from paying taxes for toll roads/utility bills/food/hotels/gas/etc.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:23 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• There is a BIG difference between paying sales taxes, property taxes, state taxes AND getting a bigger return for FEDERAL taxes if you qualify for a full-refund already.

If you pay tax on food and clothing (which I don't, by the way, because my state deems those necessities and does not tax them) you are paying a state sales tax. Your Federal return has nothing to do with that.

If you pay a tax at the gas pump - most of the tax you pay is a state sales tax. There's a very minimal federal tax. I don't know the exact numbers you're putting in, but I am making the guess it would hardly match the refund you're talking about getting back.

Ect and so on...(I only have SO much space in this box but I think you get the idea.)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:36 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• How about federal fees which are on food, utility bills and pretty much everything. I complain all the time about hikes on things and fee's are always in there. Federal government know we hate taxes but we do not seem the same about fee's. I heard with this bailout, that the fee's are coming and that is how they will keep the taxes from rising, so we won't get mad, Ya right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• We probably pay about 50% of what we make to the governments. We have been self-employed our whole lives and we have to write the checks quarterly. It makes a very big difference when you have to write those checks yourself. And we are very middle class people, earning far less that what has been defined as "rich" as of late. In addition to all the checks we have to write, we still have to pay a 6% sales tax, gasoline tax, utility taxes, and on and on and on. My guess is that it would knock the socks off most working people if they really realized just how much the government is taking of what we all work so hard to earn. And just look at how they waste it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:53 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I feel like I am going deeper in a hole each year. The raises we get from work doesn't even cover the raise in health insurance. Between our health insurance, disability insurance, life insurance and the taxes taken out of our pay, we take home half. At least in Demark, I could get paid to go to college, my retirement and health insurance is taken care of for half you pay. I pay half my pay and still have the 401k and college to pay for yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The 40% they talk about are those who do not Federal Income Taxes. Other taxes are mostly determined by the state and local municipalities. Plus you may pay in every month but if you get ALL of that back when you file, you are not truly paying taxes. We pay in every month as well, but we only get a portion of that back. The remaining portion that we paid into fed stays with them and the remaining portion into the state stays with the state. Many people get 100% of every dime they pay in plus extra money. I think that is where the controversy is.

I know several people (I am a tax professional) who use their taxes as a savings plan and then EIC is thought of as the interest the government gave them for banking with them. I know it sounds off, but it is true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2008