Is this normal behavior for a child who just turned 2 years old? I don't know if it's the child or is it poor dicipline.

My nephew just turned 2 yesterday. He had a big big party where he constantly through temper tamtrums. Whenever he would through a temper tamtrum his parents would pick him up and try to console him or his grandmother would give him candy to make him happy. This went on continuously throughout the party. He behaves this way all the time. so it has nothing to do with his birthday party. He also can't say any words, but is getting speech therapy. Nobody in the family, except grandma can even talk to him because we don't want to set him off.

staceynoel

Asked by staceynoel at 10:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe he'll just grow out of it. He may have other issues that one know wants to talk about.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• He's been tested and they ruled out Autism, He's been like this ever since he was an infant, family get togethers are stressful with him.
    staceynoel

Comment by staceynoel (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It sounds to me (this is just my personal opinion) that his parents baby him a little too much. My youngest is 3 now and still from time to time throws a temper tantrum (most kids do now and then, to an extent it's normal), my boyfriend and I generally just walk away and ignore it, after a couple minutes he stops and we explain to him that he won't get his way acting that way. As far as not talking, my youngest brother was like that but it was because he had a big brother and sister who gave him everything he pointed to. We have our 3 year old ask for things when he wants them (this is how my parents got my brother to start talking as well), and if he doesn't know what it's called and just points we tell him what it is and have him repeat it.
    Jocelyn_411

Answer by Jocelyn_411 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It sounds like he has a little bit of a mental setback. My DD is quite temperamental sometimes but not like that! Since he can't really talk I'm sure he gets very frustrated! I would think there maybe an emotional handicap also. Nothing wrong with it though, it sounds like his parents are doing their best, The candy i don't agree with but consoling I do!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I acted like that when I was a kid being in large crowds was hard for me to take maybe he has a real anxiety about large groups.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If he is delayed in his speech he's throwing tantrums because he's frustrated and that's his only way of communicating. His tantrums will probably start to subside as his speech develops. My son was speech delayed and had horrible tantrums. We started working with a speech therapist when he was about 2 and by 2 and 1/2 his speech started coming along and by 3 he was all caught up. He is 4 now and doesn't throw tantrums at all anymore.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:02 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• sounds like a case of them giving him what he wants too often I know 2 yr olds throw fits but he's ruling them this happened w my cousin and he is 4 now none of their other kids were like this but some how he got out of control he was awful and now he is labeled as a behavior and has to go to a counselor and so do his parents to relearn how to discipline a child who runs the house my nephew is autistic and he follows rules and quit fits better than a child wo it so I see why they ruled it out they are bribing him to calm down w candy lol there's the first red flag he knows what he's doing...
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think it is a combination of him being babied too much and not being able to communicate
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would say his speech problem is the root of the tantrum problem. How frustrating for him. :( I think they should at least encourage him to point or take the time to figure out what he wants instead of giving him candy....pretty soon (if not already) he will just throw fits to get candy. Because he doesn't speak, you have no idea how much he knows...chances are that it's more than every one thinks.
    My son also just turned two and while we suffer from the occasional metldown, he can be talked down and it is usually when he is tired, hungry, or if he had too much junk food that day. He talks alot though too.
    I agree with consoling him most of the time, but at his age, he should be takinng time outs as well.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• time outs
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 7:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010