how to deal with 2 girls that fight none stop

all they do is fight. They are 5 and 2.5. Some days the 2.5 year old instigates it then other days it is the 5 year old. When my 5 year old is in school it is so peaceful, but then the minute she gets home from school or the minute they wake up they are fighting. They fight over toys or anything they can for that matter. Then my 5 year old tattles all the time because the 2.5 year old is to close to the tv or because she is eating in the living room or because she isn't doing something I asked her to do. I can't take it anymore help. They fight so much and we want another baby, but I don't know what it will be like with another baby since they fight so much.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• This happened with my son's daughters. It was really tough for the last year or so. They finally started keeping them separated and doing separate activities when possible. They also had a chart of kindness, so to speak, and the girls got stickers for doing nice things for anyone but especially their sister. Then they had a special activity/day trip, together, once a month when they earned enough stickers.

Another idea I saw on TV was to play board games as a family, in teams, and rotate the members of the teams so that the girls are on a team together once in awhile. I don't know if they might be too young for this right now. Best of luck to you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• that is the thing it is almost impossible to keep them seperated and doing things alone with them because well my 5 year old goes to school 8-230, but when she gets home it is just me with the girls daddy works until 5 or 6 and sometimes even later then they get ready for bed at 7 and in bed by 8 so I don't know how I can do this by myself?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• From 2:30 til Dad gets home can you set up a structure so that they don't "get at" each other? Like going to the park, for a walk, reading, maybe set up some activities like finger painting, art projects, etc. where you are overseeing everything. Then involve them with getting dinner and setting the table etc. In other words, supervised activities so you are close by. My DIL thought she would go crazy but she had to be closely involved with them until this fighting stage ended. It still hasn't stopped completely but it is much better. And they now have baby #3 - a son.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Sounds like normal at my house. It's just the way it is. They probably think they are showing sibling affection!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Sounds like typically sibling rivalry. There will always be times when the fight. It might be a constant thing. The best thing to do is to keep them separated and when they say they want to play with the other one, than tell them if they want to play they have to get along and if they fight than they will get separated again.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 11:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2010