Paying to study the Bible?

Do you think it's right to have to pay for a Bible study, especially in light of what Jesus said at Matthew 10:8, "YOU received free, give free." I have an older relative who goes to a Bible study class that she is paying for, I guess like tuition(?) Since even Jesus himself did not ask a fee for what he taught, do you think it's necessary to charge someone to teach the bible? If someone wants to learn about the Bible but can't afford the fee, should they not learn?
Your thoughts?

69humblepie

Asked by 69humblepie at 10:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I think that is wrong. You literally don't need anything for a bible study other than a bible & maybe a piece of paper & a pencil & you can even share a bible if it comes down to it. You shouldn't have to spend money.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• NO. If someone is trying to charge you for a bible study, I would say walk away. There are somethings that should just never be paid for, spiritual tutoring is one of them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I've never heard of anyone having to pay to study, that's crazy, unless its like seminary school or through a university/college. I don't believe anyone should have to pay, though, if its not a class for some kind of credit, especially if its through a church.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have never heard of having to pay to study the bible. Maybe asking for donations, but not making is a fee.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 11:59 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Being billed is a bad idea.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If it is a bible study group.. absolutely not. The leader is there to serve with honor and grace not for money or profit.
    I attend a school which costs money but the money goes towards materials and dvds for the next 9 months. It is worth it.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I seriously doubt they are paying to study the Bible. They are probably using materials purchased for the purpose of the Bible Study. Are they charging a fee to cover expenses? Many women go to study groups and pay a small fee that covers the cost of the books they receive. The leader does NOT get any monies. In some cases, they also are renting a Club House at an apartment complex, etc. Member books range from $10-$15 and some buy journals, CDs or DVDs as well. Many of these groups have 30-50 women in them and you can see how that would be prohibitive in costs for a leader, but if each one joining pays for what they use it makes it more feasible. Some studies conclude with a retreat that could also be included. If they bring in a speaker it may also include the travel expenses for the speaker and/or an honorarium. The Bible teaches we are to feed and clothe and cover the expenses of teachers so that they can teach.
    Mom2MomFlorida

Answer by Mom2MomFlorida at 5:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• sounds fishy! if the cost is just to cover the materials, or if its a school that also teaches things outside the Bible, or the person will get some sort of certification from the study that makes sense. but otherwise the teacher shouldnt be making money off of a simple Bible study
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Well, if it's just a bible study at their church, then, NO, they shouldn't have to pay. However, if it's like a college course or something, then I could understand.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It is in a church. I don't know if the money is for the books she has. I can ask her.
    69humblepie

Comment by 69humblepie (original poster) at 9:35 AM on Oct. 4, 2010