Does your teen vent on Facebook?

My DD, just turned 16, has a pattern of getting upset, usually because of something we wont let her do, or something we make her stick with, and then proceeds to vent on facebook in her status ("so sick of it all", "gotta get out of here"etc.), makes emo pictures of herself with quotes from songs, etc. I know teens must vent, and we all did as teens, but publicly?? I just said I wish kids wouldn't use fb to vent, and be careful what you project on the computer, but of course they feel like it's their right to do so. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have any teens yet but I have a lot of teen relatives and they all seem to do the same on facebook. I especially hate these emo pictures. What's with the drama?? I think you can't do anything to stop it though. Since she is allowed to have an account on facebook, you can't really tell her not to post stuff like that. Especially now with the new filter thing. She can choose to post anything and hide anything from specific people.

She'll get over it out. Teens tend to exaggerate!

mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 11:03 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• sorry, She'll get over it "out" was ment to be She'll get over it "though"
    :)
    mygirlpaige

• everyone ..not just teens...needs to vent somewhere where we can get someone to comfort us and tell us "hope it gets better" or explain thier same situation as well. i know pple's lives should not be everybody's business but venting is like a journal, you cant write your fustrations down and expect someone to relate. you cant make friends on another strange website and have a stranger's comfort. its not the same.

if you see her writing on her facebook maybe you could tell her why you did what you did but as a teen herself, im sure she wouldnt understand and lash out more. maybe offer her a journal and each day have a "end of a day family meeting" and have her read what she put in her journal to you and talk about it.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Both of my sons vent on FB and I hate it! I just try talking to them so they won't need too!

!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 11:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• IMO this is a bad habit to let her get into. I don't think you can STOP her, freedom of speach and all. But I do think you should discourage her from negative venting on a public site. There are several ADULTS who have been fired over things posted on face book. Venting about your friends and family on FB will hurt people's feelings... venting about your boss/job on FB can get you fired.

Because she is a teen, she won't listen... but I do think you should at least tell her that. At at time when she is not mad I would say, "Hi I realize you are not happy with things sometimes, but publically venting on FB is not the best idea. Everyone can see that and it is hurtful, but down the road when you are not happy with a teacher or boss publicing posting can get you fired or in trouble. It would be good for you to find another way to vent. Journal, call or email a specific friend that you trust, talk to me..."
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 11:16 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My teenage relatives tend to do the same thing. You might just let her know that people are annoyed by it and just roll their eyes when they read it. Tell her all teenagers have felt similar at times but there wasn't always FB to broadcast it on. Make sure she knows that she is not to get too personal on FB and as a general rule, she is not to mention you or your family out of respect for privacy. If she can't shape up, take her computer for awhile. You CAN tell her what to say....she is 16.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If you are allowing her to have an account, then you are allowing her to vent. I am 26 and I vent on facebook, I don't put anything on there that I wouldn't just tell my friends anyway and that is probably what she is doing.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yeah he does but its his page and his feelings but he also comes to me and tells me as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't have a teen, but if you read my FB page it's not much different from that... 90% of it's vents...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'd take away her FB privileges.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 8:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010