Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Does anyone know if this is standered police procedure? (answer's ASAP please!)

Yesterday the neighbors in the apartment next to us moved out and in the apartment now is a woman and her 6-9 year old son. I have no idea if they are renting it now or what. She spent over an hour last night yelling and screaming and cussing at him. I could hear things being thrown around and could hear the boy crying and whimpering. Finally it got so bad I called the police because I was concerned she was going to start hitting him. They came out but by the time they got here everything was silent. So they listened to whatever bullshit story she gave and left. It happened again this morning and I swear she was beating him so I called again. The officer came out but once again it was quiet when he got here. He didn't even ask to see the boy or check on him! I can hear him crying in the bedroom in the back of the apartment and I am getting very very concerned


Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I have dealt with this in an apartment building I lived in back in 05 and the cops won’t do anything so you have to call the Abuse hot-line and get them out there to see what is going on. 1-800-4-A-CHILD is the number to call so they can get out there and help out; they are open 24/7 so they can help at anytime. Hope this helps.

    Answer by MisticDawn6 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • Call CPS not the police. They HAVE to investigate.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:11 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • Yes, please call CPS. God bless you.

    Answer by elizabr at 11:13 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • YEP, CPS has to investigate. You can make an anonymous call.


    Answer by samurai_chica at 11:14 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • I would keep on calling and keep on calling and hopefully a welfare check will be done by DCS. That is so sad.

    Answer by KTMOM at 11:12 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • I agree, call Child Services.

    Answer by layh41407 at 11:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • Call CPS. It is not a "domestic violence" situation. The police can't really ask the boy what has happened or investigate the "scene" if it is not a scene when they arrive. CPS will take action first and ask questions later (in some jurisdictions, anyway).

    Answer by fohtrae at 11:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • next time, try calling social services - the police should have at least looked at the boy to check for injuries - looks bad for that police department - and the boy is probably too afraid to tell what his mother is doing to him, anyway - get social services involved - they make visits without notice - you are a very good person to be so concerned - wish there were more people like you out there - God bless - and thanks for caring about that little boy - and don't stop calling the police if you think you need to - one of these days, she might kill the poor little boy...

    Answer by kaysimon132461 at 11:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • I agree call your local CPS or DFACS. They are better equipped to handle those investigations. I am a little surprised that after 2 calls the police didn't involve them. It could have something to do with your states procedures though...

    Answer by But_Mommie at 11:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

  • I will tell you first had w experience CPS wants to keep the child w the bio parents they will over look time and time again problems so they don't have to take the child away we just called on a woman we personally know through foster cps knows her the new borns babys dad shook the baby they did head sdcans and everything and still they gave the baby back she even admitted to not wanting it and has 3 other kids she did a few days later give the baby away to a friend! And nothing is done cps even told her they weren't going to take the kids my mil has done foster and adoptive care for 20 plus yrs and the bio parents always get the child even when they have proven themsevles unfit you'd have to really fight and find a dedicated cps agent

    Answer by Kre10 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 3, 2010