Am I the only one??

I'm very open with my child about "parts" and whatnot. I taught my child about both male and female parts and she knows them by their correct names (penis, vagina, breasts, etc.). I did this because I read an article in a parenting magazine that it is best to teach them the parts and proper names because it breaks down the uncomfortable barrier thata parents and children have about it so if something were to happen to her she wouldn't feel as embarrassed to tell me and possibly the court what happened. I was only wondering if I'm the only one and I wouldn't mind some feedback, good or bad. I'm open.

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Good Job, Mamma!!
    Too many parents are embarrassed to tell their children the proper names for body parts (Etc). That or they try to shelter them as long as possible to avoid them growing up too fast. However, exactly what you said is true among other reasons. It not only breaks down that barrier, but it forms a bond of trust that you'll always be honest with them, and it allows them to know the truth form the start. When they get to the age where they're going to need to know the truth (whatever that may be) they are going to be confused to no end if they know something different. Whether it's about the reality and fiction of gun playing, sex, war, or whatever you have it. Kids not only deserve the truth, but it benefits them in soo many ways to know the honest truth about what they're asking.

Good Job! I do the same thing with my children, because I want them to know the truth.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I haven't taught my children the proper names and such yet, but it isn't too far off. I believe in being open and honest with your kids from a very early age. I also feel that it helps to keep them a little closer and more honest with you and less embarrassed to ask you something when they have questions.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 11:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We did the same with our kids. They know all male and female anatomy with proper names and even what the uses are... My kids have more sex ed at 3 & 4 than most 7 & 8 year olds I know, which actually bothers me - but not because my kids know so much, instead because they know so little...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Truth and honesty comes from the home so why should that conversation be any different
    My children were taught by real names.
    I even showed my girls how to use pads before it was time so it wouldn't be a big surprise
    And it paid.
    Inheritingkids

Answer by Inheritingkids at 1:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I tell my niece everything as straight forward as possible. Im breastfeeding my son and she knows everything including how he came into this world! I will also be straight forward with my son when he gets older(only8wks now) I was alittle hesitant when my niece started asking questions about my pregnancy but didnt want to lie to her so I answered everything I could and she didnt have a prob. with it. And I had to let her know what a penis is or that would have been a shock the 1st time she saw me change my sons diaper!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 1:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• How old is your child?
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 1:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My dd is 3 years old and she knows the prope names of private areas of both males and females. When I was pregnant with my ds, my dd knew the baby was in my tummy and where he was going to come out. She is a little confused though. For some unexplained reason, she has come to the conclusion that boys have penises and girls have vaginas but men and women don't. I am working on that. I will tell her more sex ed as she gets older and/or when she has questions.
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 1:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My child is 4 now....I haven't gotten into the whole process of sex or anything yet, but that'll come in time. Also I plan on being the first to tell her that and not her school. I feel things of that nature need to come from the parents and not the school.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 9:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010