My son just turned 4 yrs. old yesterday and he is still not potty trained ! I've tried everything you could think of and nothing works, Help me please how do I get him out of diapers??

3kidsmarry

Asked by 3kidsmarry at 6:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would just stop putting diapers on him. He will have a bunch of accidents at first, but by 4 he is old enough to know when he needs to go. Maybe the embarassment of wetting himself will push him over the edge.
    supershlea

Answer by supershlea at 6:37 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Is there a baby in the house that is getting their diaper changed? It may be that he is only wanting the attention. If that is the case, then I would make a HUGE deal about using the toilet. Lots of positive reinforcement and "potty parties" and the like. Goodluck.
    xanxan

Answer by xanxan at 6:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• We had a big boy party, bought new underwear, and did have lots of accidents at first.. I made him bring me the towel to clean it (he wasn't in trouble persay but to make him work too) and go get the new undies, and put the wet ones where they needed to go.

I also had mini m&ms for every time he tried to go whether he went or not, and a sticker after he washed his hands for him to put on a piece of paper that was hanging on the bathroom mirror.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• I know what your going through right now, and it is tuff, I tried every thing as well, this my sound out there to some but what worked with my son was letting him hide and pee out side, that started it then his bahbah told me to tell him to pee in the potty to make bubble's, and that worked, it made it fun for him.
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 8:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• play a game called shot the cheerios. put cheerios in the toilet and tell him to use his urine to shot them. do this with him until he is used to it and oneday just stop putting them in there and he will know how to point,aim, and shot. lol
    DIAMOND_CHIC

Answer by DIAMOND_CHIC at 8:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My son learned to pee in the potty as soon as he turned 3 when his father would take him in the bathroom with him everytime he needed to go. It encouraged him to use it too. He does great now with that part but I'm still struggling wit the poop. He's gonna be 4 in Sept and he's still stubborn as hell. LOL But I NEVER put pull ups or diapers on him. He wears underwear all day and night. He wakes up dry every morning. The poop thing is what I need to work on.
    Karabeara78

Answer by Karabeara78 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• My daughter was 3yrs. old before she was potty trained. One thing that we did was sat her on the potty and had her drink on the potty. Then after she would pee or poo, we would give her one piece of candy for peeing and two pieces for pooing. Then after a week with using the potty and not the pants, we would buy her a $1.00 toy. With in 3 weeks we had her potty train.
    mommy1leah

Answer by mommy1leah at 11:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• The best thing that I did to potty train my son was to spend an entire week sitting at home with him. He wore nothing but cotton underwear and we didn't go any where for the whole week. The first day he would wet himself and run to me to tell me he was wet. The second day he would start to wet himself (just let out a little bit) run to me, then I would get him on the potty and he would let the rest out in the potty. I would reward him with M&M's any time that he pee'd in the potty. By day 4 he would tell me BEFORE he had to go (barely) and we would run for the potty. At the end of the week, he was able to hold his pee and tell us that he could go before there were any accidents. Finally at the end of the week, we could leave the house again and be diaper free and accident free.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• This question is so ironic. I asked this question just a few months back and all of the answers I got were just about horrible.

To get Kyal potty trained, I had to make my husband leave the house every evening for about a week. Kyal was not able to stop running game on my husband and me, so I took matters into my own hands. I took off of work for about 5 days. And the only time a put a pull-up on him was at night.

I did these same steps in January and in February. By March he would go pee-pee in the potty but would not poop in the potty.

So in March, I let my husband go through the “boo-boo in the potty phase”. Seeing that I got the hardest part out of the way.

I can say that it took Kyal a little longer to go #2 in the potty than to go #1. Probably because my husband stopped trying by April and I fixed it by May.

Tiny_Mommie

Answer by Tiny_Mommie at 10:00 AM on Jul. 4, 2008