How do I even out the milk produce in my breasts?

I am a strictly breast feeding mom and notice that my right breast produces more and is bigger then my left, to the point of noticable. My son is going to be a month old on Sunday and thought that this would be fixed by now,I know it should not be a big deal but I would like some advice on how to even out the production.

Wowlovebingamom

Asked by Wowlovebingamom at 12:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your breasts produce on a supply and demand basis. have him feed from the left breast more often and it will start to produce more milk
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I had that problem to at first. I was told by my doctor to alternate between breasts and to start to use the other one more until they evened out. It really worked within about a week. The more that your baby eats out of your breast, the more you will produce.
    Lindsey0808

Answer by Lindsey0808 at 12:21 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Your supply is based on demand. So let baby nurse from the left side first and once baby finishes that side you can pump for a minute or two to ensure it is being emptied enough to stimulate more milk production. But many women notice that one side produces more the entire time they breastfeed. Just as many women notice one breast is bigger than the other, one breast often produces more milk than the other. You can try the tips above to keep things evened out though.
    momyoftwo

Answer by momyoftwo at 1:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Feed from the smaller side more often...but you may never get them even. It's normal to be lopsided.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Start each feeding with the larger one for a few days, that should even it out. It could be that either you or he has a breast prefference. Thats what happened to me. I preffered to feed on the left so my right hand was free, well we know what happens then don't we? When I had her start on the right and feed from the right more often, she wasn't very happy for a couple days, but we got through it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• sometimes a warm cloth on the breast will help produce flow if thats part of the problem
    christinaMJ

Answer by christinaMJ at 2:35 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It's normal for one breast to be a better "supplier" than the other. My left always had faster let-down and supplied more than the right. The size difference should change when your supply regulates, but there's really no telling when that will happen. It happens sooner for some women than others. It can even be different from one pregnancy to the next. With my first two, I regulated and stopped leaking around 2 mos, with my third it took 6 mos.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 6:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I breastfeed my son until he was a year old. I'll tell you what I know. I don't remember having one breast that produced a significant amount more than the other.

You need to make sure you let your baby nurse on each breast about the same amount of time. If one seems larger & to have more milk than the other you can do 2 things. Let your baby nurse on the one with less milk more often and pump from that breast between feedings. Pumping is nice because it gives grandparents & daddy an opportunity to feed the baby. The more you nurse, the more milk is produced to keep up with your babies growing appetite.

I let my baby nurse on my left breast until he was full or it was empty. Then I switched to the right breast. It doesn't matter if it is the same feeding or if you have to wait until the next feeding as long as both breasts are used equally.
    Avon_Mommy

Answer by Avon_Mommy at 12:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I've nursed each of my children to varying lengths, all past a year, and one past 2 years and it is NORMAL. Just as it's normal to have one breast that is larger than the other, it's normal to have one breast that is a better producer.
    Anonymous