What od you do if your only child wants to have a brother/sister and you don't have intentions to become a parent? I feel pressured

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Maybe arrange more play dates so the only doesn't feel alone.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I agree, try play dates. You shouldn't feel pressured to have more kids by anyone, let alone your own child.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• How old is the kiddo? I wanted a little sibling forever as a kid (it was on my christmas list to santa every year). I had an older brother (6 years age difference) but wanted a little brother or sister. I think my folks were just straight up with me. They were the parents and they made the rules. If they are little try more playdates. Ask why they want a sibling, it may just be to have someone to play with.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 11:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• YOUR destiny is yours, IF you are to have more children, the decision comes from you. **You might feel that siblings are important-- not just because your child wants this but because so do you...

You can have more playdates, enroll the child in school / afterschool activities, get a dog or a rat...

But ultimately, (depending on the child's age-maturity-comprehension) you can talk about how mommy will have to see what God or Mother Nature or the universe (whatever you say), will help what needs to happen.

I was an only child and lonely. I also asked for NOTHING other than a sibling for Christmas, birthdays, etc... Well, it was sad for me and hard. I was angry, but I didn't understand!
    Now I totally understand! My mom didn't have the right partner (anymore), among other issues, to have another, so it wasn't possible...
    And now I understand it was MY destiny to grow up that way, etc . . . . .
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• WOW - doulala...that was deep - appreciate the comment.
    I agree with you. If the mom is a single-mom and does not have the right partner or health wise, cannot longer conceive. She should have a talk with her daughter/son
    Ahealthyskin

Answer by Ahealthyskin at 1:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• LOL!
    I have thought a lot about this for over 30 years......
    ;-P
    I tried to get my mom to adopt or whatever, but it wasn't the right thing for Her.

So I grew up wanting a dozen babies.
    I got a couple, so far...

Turns out MY destiny has been more to help others bring their babies into the world than birth my own, lol.
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• yea more playdates and childrent friendly activities
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• get out more and find some playmates or make some playdates. Sounds like they want more social interaction with kids their own age. Explain also that it takes a while before babies can start to play with other siblings (roughly 2 years from time of conception).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• bumped you.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 6, 2010