What age do you think it is "ok" to get your child a cell phone?

I was thinking about getting my daughter a cell phone for Christmas but she is only 9 she will be 10 in November. What is your opinion on cell phones and kids?

patsymay84

Asked by patsymay84 at 11:38 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Not until they can work and drive!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:39 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son is 12 and has had one for about 7 months now. He plays sports at school and I like him to be able to call me when the bus is back at school so I can pick him up.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 11:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• 16
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I got my daughter a cell phone out of necessity. She was riding the schools bus, and I wanted to make sure she had a way to communicate with me if there were any problems (like when the driver dropped her off at the wrong stop the FIRST DAY she ever rode the bus- at age 6!!! ). She is 12 now, and has had her phone for about two years.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:44 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think it just depends on your situation, we got a phone for my son when he was 13, when his dad went to Iraq, that way his dad could call him no matter where my son was
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When they are old enough to work and pay for it themselves- I don't view them as a necessity.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• It seems kids are getting cell phones younger & younger. I think you should get a pre-paid cell phone & let her use it for necessity only. I would not give a 9 year old free rein over a cell phone. If you get a pre-paid phone, you can give it to her only when she needs to use it. I say, if your child is at home, then they can use your cell phone, or the house phone. Until my DD is old enough to help pay for a cell phone, she will not be having one that she has full rein over. I will be buying her a pre-paid phone & i will only let her use it when it's necessary.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i also don't think they are a necessity for kids. We all grew up without them & managed.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son is getting one next year when he starts school. For me it's a safety thing. He'll be 5.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Don't worry about what other people think, everyone has their own opinion on this subject. What works for one family does not always work for another. Personally I think there is nothing wrong with a child having a form of instant contact on them when they are away from their family, no matter the age.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010