At what age does a child normally start counting?

My son is 28 months and I am curious as to when kids normally start counting. I have heard him count to 4 on his own but that only happened one time. I can't get him to do it again.

Amanda_Jo1209

Asked by Amanda_Jo1209 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• When they learn to speak, which could vary in age, start teaching them slow until they grasp the concept.

Answer by older at 11:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• 2 to 3 years. GIve it time and just keep counting with him. He won't just do it over night, he needs to learn how to do it. I started counting with my DD when she was just over a year old, and she didn't start counting herself til she was almost two. But she was able to count almost to twenty by then. I think Curious George and Sesame Street helped her with that as well.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• repetition works wonder and reinforcement when they get it right is awesome.

Answer by older at 11:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Kids mimic what you do. If you start with him early, he will likely follow your lead. Make it a game. We counted everything in sight, like at the market when buying fruit, for example. ( How many bananas do we have?) I actually loved the Sesame Street "One Two Three Count With Me" video. My daughter loved it and was counting before she started school.

69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 11:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I dunno my DD is almost 3 and can count to about 15 skipping a number here and there I am wanting to say she was counting to 3 or 4 around 18 month but we use counting as a discipline method so she heard it all the time. lol. She learned even more through Dora and Sesame street. Plus we count our snack items. 'You can have 10 grapes. 1,2...) It depends on the child's development to. DD happens to be very vocal. If you have a child at 2 who is more focused on learning to take things apart and not focusing so much on talking they may not be ready to learn to say their numbers. It doesn't mean you can't try though. Just a thought.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Counting objects or just listing numbers in order? My daughter just turned 2 and she can count to twelve (after which she says "bahhh teen! bahhh teen! bahhh teen!), could count to 6 by about 16 months. But if you put three cookies in front of her and ask her to count the cookies, she generally says "one two three four five six seven".
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 11:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son will be three in December and recently decided he can count to 10. I made a song out of the numbers and he picked it up from that. I think we're still a bit off from him being able to count anything but his fingers but we'll see. Just keep working with him and eventually he'll pick it up. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 12:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My DS is 2.5, and he can count to 10. We count all of the time, when we go up/down the stairs, when he's playing with his cars, etc. I never actually sat down and taught him, I just worked it into play time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• repetition! Do a counting game with flashcards, i'm sure you have some children books with numbers, count the fruit you have in the fridge or if you grab 3 apples at the store count them to him.... my son is 2.5 and only says 2 lol. He will count to 5, but say 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• 1 years old.
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2010