Does Anyone have a husband that works on Christmas and New Years?

My husband just started a new job within his company and it requires him to work on the Holidays I am having a tough time conceiving this idea after almost 24 years of marriage. I was wondering how do you deal with this?

Darla47

Asked by Darla47 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• We rotate holidays at my work. It's my year for Christmas. :0( We will be planning around it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Will he have to work ALL holidays?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:55 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes he has to work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day! He is off for Thanksgiving and he was off for the 4th of July!
    Darla47

Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My husband does and always has. He was in the Army and pretty much had to work on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Eve/Day. Now that he is out of the military, he has a job where he works every other week (84 hours on his work week, and then he has a whole week off). However, his work week always falls on Thanksgiving, Christmas,and New Years Eve/Day as well as Valentine's, Memorial, and Forth of July. They are suppose to switch every 4 years to make it fair to all employees but he has been there for 5 years and it hasn't happened yet. We deal with it by celebrating the holiday on a different day. The day of the Holiday is not important, the quality time that you spend together and celebrate are.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We usually always visit with his side of the family for these Holidays! I also have two sons that are still living at home and I always spend the Holidays with my sons!
    Darla47

Comment by Darla47 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When we have had something like that come up, we just celebrate on a different day. The kids get a charge out of it. The point is to have your family together, not that you celebrate on the specific day, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Before becoming disabled, my hubby's job was an "on-call" type of job. He went out and fixed ATMs when they would have problems. We (I got to ride with him and keep him company) would have to work many of the holidays. My family would fix us "to-go" plates. He made good money so I wasn't complaining. The job came in rather handy when we just didn't feel like dealing with family drama BS.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• With my husband's line of work, we don't ever know if he is going to be home for any holiday or birthday or anything. In fact, we are celebrated our daughter's birthday a few days early this year because he wasn't going to be home for it, we are celebrating his birthday and mine sometime after them because he was gone for his and won't be home before mine comes around either. We sometimes push them a few days back if we don't know he's going to be gone or if we do know he is going to be gone we celebrate it a few days early.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• If he's still the "new guy" it happens to all the newly hired people. It's something you have to get used to and plan around his work schedule. By next year, he'll be able to get holiday pay for working those days.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• We celebrate on a different day.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010