How early did you start having "girl talk" with your daughter? When is it too early?

Ahealthyskin

Asked by Ahealthyskin at 12:11 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My mom had the "girl talk" with me when I was about 11. She figured it was a good age since I was almost 12 and was closer to stepping into woman hood and didn't want me to find the surprise in my panties and freak out. I ended up starting when I was 12 and think she timed it just right.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I think around 11. Here, my DD will take a health class in a few weeks, I'm going to use that as a springboard for the "big" talk. We've talked a little, but nothing too in-depth yet. (She just turned 11).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My mom never had the girl talk with me. My daughter just turned nine and I am going to have the talk with her in the next couple of weeks.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• At 5 yrs old. Because well she was developing really fast, she started having boobs around 4-5 and the dr's where afraid of her getting her period. Also because my mom never talk to me about girl stuff and when I got my period I thought it was something bad, cry and hide it for a few months. I didn't want my daughter to be traumatized like me.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 4:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I started when they started asking questions I think my now 18 yr old started asking about things when she was about 4 and my middle daughter basically sat in on all the conversations so as to not feel left out...BTW neither of my daughters have had sex yet and are both virgins by choice and are not afraid to talk to either me or their step-father about anything sex related for both male and female...which in my eyes is a good thing! (In his eyes its embarrassing and he gets redfaced but still wont turn their questions away! I pat him on the back! LOL)
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When my daughter asks a question about sex, I answer the question. When she has had enough of an answer and doesn't want anymore i stop. In other words, I let her tell me how much she wants to know.
    When I was a kid, my mother NEVER talked about sex to me so I had to go to other sources to get answers. This taught me that you must have an open, honest relationship about anything they come to you with. I would rather her here it from me than someone else.
    Good luck & take care!
    SunnieStyles

Answer by SunnieStyles at 9:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I started when they were babies. That way it doesn't feel weird for either of us, it just always has been that way. Of course I keep it very G rated and simple, but now I have a 5 and 6.5 year old that know the basics.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• We don't have 'a talk' we have lots of little talks. Whenever she asks a questions we have a conversation about whatever it is - sex, death, politics, science, love, pets, etc. At 8 she's a very well informed and level headed little girl.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 9:44 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• This is a great question..i was just asking this to my friends a few months ago...my two daughters are 9 and 10..my dd who is 10 has a little friend who is the same age who recently started her period..i of course freaked out thinken omg it's way too soon and ect..ect..so i desided i had to have a talk with her b4 someone else did..my mother was not very good at this kind of thing so i learned from my friends which i didn't want that for my girls...i took my daughter off into my bedroom and talked with her about how she will be a lil lady soon and what all comes with it..she actually understood..but i think she kinda knew alittle due to the many times of being around me and asking questions about pads..ect..what are they for ect..ect..i really thought that i was going to have a hard time doing it but it actaully went really good..i will do the same when my other daughter turn's 10 next year...BEST OF LUCK TO U!!!
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 19, 2010