S/O Are cell phones really a necessity for children?

Seems like now a days everyone has a cell phone, and I constantly hear that children having cell phones is a necessity.

Until recent times, everyone managed fine throughout their life not having one- including children, so why is it viewed now as something everyone NEEDS and can't do without?

For thsoe who don't think they are necessary- how do you manage to keep your child safe without constantly texting or talking to them on the phone?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 12:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• A cell phone for ONLY the purpose of emergency, maybe. Not so they can call and "check in" because they can do that from anyone's phone, or a landline where they are supposed to be. Not to be popular. Not to be able to chat and text with friends. For 911 or a call home if there is an emergency. That would be the only way I would put one into my child's hands. Entitlement is running rampant and it is causing the entire nation to reek with the rot of spoiled children IMHO.
    fohtrae

Answer by fohtrae at 12:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Why does a 4 yearold need a cellphone,who are they gonna call.I could understand giving them one temporarly for emergencies,but not all the time.
    rena777

Answer by rena777 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have a cell for my oldest she is 10. She does not carry it with her all the time, nor does she call and text friends from it. I give it to her when her and her sisters go to the park, or walk to the store. Even though the park is right across the street, and the store is one block away. I feel more comfortable knowing she has it. I also let her use it when she goes to birthday parties, or other get togethers that I will not be at. This way I know I can call her, or she can call me whenever she feels like it without having to ask to use someone's phone.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The same amount of perves roamed the streets back then as now and my son has a cell but did not get one until he was 14. I think now when both parents have to work and are out of touch its comforting to know your kids can reach you and you can reach them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My daughter is 10 and she has a cell phone. She only uses it to call family members that live out of town. She doesn't take it to school with her either. We have a landline which is only used for internet, we don't have long distance on it. My daughters cell phone gets a better signal than mine does.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i think there were alot less murders rapes and sex offenders roaming the streets back in the old days.
    and if they did have cell phones back then, i bet alot more kids would have been saved.
    some people just dont like change and think of new technology as "different". cell phones are great, they save lives, why wouldnt you want your child to have one?
    who doesnt want the comfort of knowing that if they need to get in touch with there child, or there child needs to get in touch with them, they will always be able to? +
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• When my DS started Middle School, he started walking or riding his bike to school and I bought a phone for him (he was 11). I think it's a necessity - he can reach me whenever he needs to, and if he is at a friends I can reach him as well. I like that he has independence, but I'm still only a phone call away.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't think younger kids need cell phones. Like someone else mentioned the same amount of sickos are out there we are just more aware and it's not so hush hush. I didn't get a cell phone until I was 18 and it didn't have texting and all that crap on it (24 now) and I did just fine. If you think you'll rest easier knowing your kid has a cell phone see if your service has one of those phones that only calls a couple of people or 911 with no texting. I think a good age is 13 (without all the junk) just a simple phone so you can keep in touch and when they get a job if they want a better phone then they can pay for it themselves.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My daughter is 8 and so far we haven't gotten her one and don't see the need. She plays around our neighborhood and she takes her walkie talkie with her I pick her up from school so there is no need yet we'll probably get her one at some point but she won't calling people or texting ever unless she wants to pay the bill so I feel it's not a neccesity right now
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't have a cell phone, neither does my DH. However, yes, I think they are a need for children and teens who will be away from home for school, sports, lessons or with friends. They don't need a blackberry, but a simply phone is a need. Without doubt they save lives. When we were kids, there were other options, there were pay phones, there were usually trustworthy adults, but today, you never know. I don't want my child to have to rely on someone else should something bad happen, and I don't think they should have to. When I was a kid, there was more than one case where something serious could have happened and I would have had no way to contact help... Thankfully, I survived, but why risk it? Phones are cheap, and worth the expense when it's your kids life - or someone elses kid's life that could be at risk...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2010