For us first time pet owners - Do you recommend to get two puppies at a time or one (if you have not experience) and why?

Ahealthyskin

Asked by Ahealthyskin at 12:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2010 in Pets

• No. I'd get one first - puppies are a LOT of work.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• One puppy. Especially if this is your first. Puppies are a lot of work and money, you have to take them to puppy classes and training, their is potty training, and chewing, leash training... Start with one, then when it's all trained and you feel up to another you can get a second puppy.
    Unlike cats where it's recommended that you get more then one, with dogs especially since it's the first it's best to get one because you're learning as they are and you wont feel so overwhelmed.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 12:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thank you ladies, I was feeling a bit guilty for having only one...:-)
    Ahealthyskin

Comment by Ahealthyskin (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would say it depends on how much time you have to spend with the dog or dogs when you get it/them and what type of breed they are. Anything bigger than 10 pounds or so, I would only get one. We recently got a boxer puppy, and he is MORE than a handful. I couldn't handle another puppy with him even if I tried. And yes, they are VERY expensive, so I wouldn't get two if you thought you might have a little trouble affording just one.

Don't feel guilty for getting just one dog. Most people do it that way.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• One...too much work if you got 2.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• i'd say one forsure, because we had two puppies at once mine and my roomates and it was not fun at all...you never no which to go after for being naughty.. so in the end neither of them are learning because they r both getting away with it.
    jessikay63

Answer by jessikay63 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I have two dogs. Their small dogs (chihuahua and dachshund). We got the dachshund first. She had a hard time potty training. But once we got the chihuahua they kind of figured it out together. So I would say get them together (maybe even a little older than puppies). It will be kind of difficult at first but they will be best friends soon. And you won't feel so bad leaving them because they'll have someone to play with.
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I'd get one. More than one dog together, and they start to act super doggy, if that makes sense. We got our dog last year as a really young puppy, and had him potty trained, sitting, lying down and staying. Then we watched a friend's dog for 3 days (who wasn't potty trained. God knows why, she was old enough. I think her owners were too lazy to take her out of the apartment so they used pee pads.) and within a day our dog wasn't listening to us (because she didn't) and having accidents (because she was). Took us a week to get him straightened out once she'd left.
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 1:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thank you all for your comments, the more and more I read, the more I am glad I decided to just have one. We love him and he is a lot of work!
    Ahealthyskin

Comment by Ahealthyskin (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Just one, especially if you've never had a puppy before. :) It's like having another infant. Good luck!
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 2:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010