Mormons and Prop 8

How do you feel about the LDS church donating an estimated $9 million dollars to fund Prop 8? The leaders of the church are also asking their members to actively participate and donate more money.

As a tax exempt church, do you think they have the right to become this politically involved? Should this effect their tax exempt status?

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 12:42 AM on Oct. 24, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not just the Mormons, there are several religions that are banding together to "fight" against prop 8. They are fighting for what they believe in, so let them. I am not Mormon or by any means religious, but I have Mormon family members, and according to what I've been told about Prop 8, if the law is passed and ANY church refuses to perform gay marriage ceremonies, they will have their tax exempt status taken away.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I looked this up and it is not true. Prop 8 would simply define marriage as one man and one women.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• The give and take between the conservative groups and the liberal groups sort of keeps the balance in this country.....Of course, I think the religous groups should not have any direct power in politics or government, but they will certainly have influence. Churches shouldnt be indirectly forced to violate their own beliefs.....so if marrying members of the same gender is something they see as violating their principals, they shouldn't be forced to do it. They depend on their tax exempt status......If churches were given tax exempt status for a reason, then we have to go back to that reason to decide whether tax exempt status should continue.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:55 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• church leader should not be forced to perform same sex marriage. i see this as a violation of church and state
    avonbooklady58

Answer by avonbooklady58 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Just as the churches should not be allowed to interfere with government, the government should not be allowed to interfere with what the churches believe in. I see nothing wrong with gay marriage, but if a church doesn't believe that way, the govt should stay out of it. Maybe gay persons would prefer a different religion, one that is more tolerant and loving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Prop 8 doesn't make churches preform any kinds of marriages.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I just wish the Mormons would be more concerned about the bad name some of their sects give to society with their polygamist ways of living!
    Anonymous